1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will not come out of Park

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

truck finally passed inception now today it will not come out of Park. its like its stuck even truck on and foot on brake...think its something with brakes ? cause it dose not click when going from park to drive any ideas? now its this whats next :realmad: it works some times but other times its stuck. truck is a 96 1500.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It could be your nutral safety switch.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does the shifter move but the transmission stays in gear? Or can you not even move the shifter?

How would a range switch keep the truck from shifting?

4. DareDog

shifter will not move out of park, just started doing it this week, where is neutral safety switch located?

for now keep it Neutral with wood blocks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a little confused. Is it in Park or not? Or is it just very difficult to get out of Park?

Does your parking brake work? I only ask because that might be a more convenient way to secure the truck rather than jumping out with some wooden blocks.

If the truck starts in Neutral and Park, and only Neutral and Park, the range -aka neutral safety - switch is fine.

6. DareDog

start the truck up and it is in Park and the shifter is stuck there and will not come out of park,

parking brake not sure if it works not dont really want to try it. i have another person with me so they get out and put blocks under it.

i did get shifter to come out of park after i pump brake 5 times really fast.

I put new brake switch in it last weekend maybe its that dont have it in right?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When trying to get out of park just turn the steering wheel a little and see if that works.

8. DareDog

tried that still same thing,

But now tonight it works fine..maybe it just needed to be used?

9. That is the first place I would start.

10. DareDog

ok so now it worrks off and on some times works great other times stuck in Park.

11. Do your brake lights act up (as in, don't work) at the same time as you are having the "park" issue?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What did you use for a brake light switch, and did you use a new clip?

That's a fun project, isn't it.....

13. DareDog

Yes it is and it was not even the problem! got it at advance for 10.50 not sure of name..did not put clip back in it. today again works fine maybe it needed to get broken in with the new switch?

brake lights work fine.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you don't have a clip on it now?

15. DareDog

yes there is no clip in it

16. DareDog

went threw 2 clips and finally got it in! clip is in and works great now. its all ready for my road test in it in 4 weeks!

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There you go

18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Huh? Dunno about NY, but you can't get a sticker in MA without a working parking brake.

Check the parking brake and fix it if its broken. Use it when you park on uneven surfaces so the truck isn't held in place by the transmission in park. It'll be alot easier to get in and take it our of park that way too.

19. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I don't remember the last time the park brake was checked in my vehicles for an inspection. Guess it depends on what you drive and where you take them up here.

20. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Wow, amazing how different it can be. Here they have you put the parking brake on, put it in gear and step on the gas while watching your taillights in a mirror.