1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will my truck handle it??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Feb 3, 2005.

1. progmc

progmc Member

I have a 1989 chev 2500 and a 1987 dakota with plows on them. The 89 is getting in rough shape and I hope it gets me through this year. I also have a 1995 gmc 1500. Now heres my question for you all. Will my 1995 gmc handle my 8' snoway steel plow? The gmc has 1600000 miles on it but is in very nice shape and runs perfect. It also has a 4" suspension lift in it, not sure if the lift will effect any thing or not. I have replaced all the front end parts with in the last 10000 miles or so, so I know there good. Just trying to decide if I should get a new truck or keep the paid off on. thanks

2. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

"The gmc has 1600000 miles "
    Wow, any truck with over a million miles has been through enough :drinkup:
    Anyway, sorry I don't have any valuble advice to offer.

3. progmc

progmc Member

0ppps one to many zeros :dizzy:

4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

1500 w/ a Sno-Way

Check the Sno-Way website. It will tell you what plow is recommended for your truck. With that said, My son is running a Meyer Max on his Dodge 1500. Not recommended, but it works. He also has a 3" lift, Timbrens, and other modifications. Your 4" suspension lift may require modifying the mount or the plow frame a bit, but it should work.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as the plow being too heavy, i would not worry about it, iam guessing it weighs less then 750 LBS. There used to be a guy here that runs 8' Snoways on S-10's, your not going to have a problem.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

As far as what the lift will do to the plow, it's been discussed all day long, and probably once a week for years. Go to The Higher The Better thread from today, and you will get your answer.

7. progmc

progmc Member

Thanks for the info, I really dont want to spend the the money on a new truck when I already have a good 1/2 ton. It dont have any thing as far as a plow prep package on it so If I do use it I will put a larger alt, tranny cooler, and crank the torsion bars up. I just dont want to be breaking every thing because of the lift or the plow is just to much

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If the frame and the body are good you can just replace parts forever.
    The best part is IT'S PAID FOR ! you could replace almost everything for the cost of a years payments on a new truck.

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck will be able to handle the weight of the snoway. As far as having a 4" lift. See if you can get your hands on some install instructions from snoway, and look at what they say the distance off the ground for the mounting pins should be. Obviously, the higher you go the worse the plow will scrape. My truck is about 2-3" taller than it should be according to snoway, and it does make a difference. You could try bolting two edges onto the blade to get back an inch or so. I've done this, and so far it helps, although the plow will tend to trip a little easier.

10. progmc

progmc Member

Like mikirig1 said its paid for and that is the best thing of all. I guess the main thing that I was worried about is if it would handle it. I contacted snoway and they said that the pin holes on the mount should be 9-11" off the ground. Right now I have 285/75/16 tires on I have thought about going with a 245/75/16 tire on a spare set of rims. does any one know how much this will drop it with the smaller tires.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Talk to a tire shop,mine has charts as to what fits and what will rub and stock sizes called for.
    You could measure the different tire circomfrences.
    It should not be that big a difference. Just make sure all are the same size and brand if possible.
    I have always heard that the A-frame on a plow should be level with the ground for the correct attack angle. At least Meyer and Western are this way.
    Please excuse the spalling. spall chek not working on site.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  12. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

The 285/75/16 tires are 32.8" in diameter. The 245/75/16 are 30.5" in diameter. So you have an approximate 2.25" difference in tire diameter which will only lower the truck slightly more than an inch. More realisticly, it will drop an inch and that's about it.