1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will my truck handle a plow...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by huskybear, Jan 17, 2007.

1. huskybear

huskybear Junior Member

Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but I wonder if my truck is capable of handling a plow and would like to get suggestions on what plows I should look at for it. I was thinking about buying a new truck, but I want to keep my expenses to a minimum, so Im just weighing my options.

Any way, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (half ton) with the 5.7 lt hemi. It is 4x4 and I have 265 BFG a/ts on it. To me, it seems like the truck doesnt handle as well in the snow as I thought it would. The throttle is too sensitive and with the auto trans, I just dont seem to have as much control.

Id like a plow with a mount that is pretty much hidden when the plow is removed.

PS Im new to plowing. See this thread

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sure it will.....bout the max size you would really wanna put on it is a 7 and a half footer. Western ultramount's undercarriage is pretty hard to notice with the receiver's off.

I dunno bout your dodge but my 00 was light in the a$$ so I put a ton of snow tubes in the back which seemed to help.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get a western or meyer or even a curtis would be good
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway make a plow that is an excellent match for that vehicle.

Lots of ballast is the key to keeping that quick revving hemi under control.
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

All the major plow manufacturers have links at the top of this page, they all pretty much have online configuration utilities that will help you identify which plow they recommend for your specific trucka nd how much ballast you might want to carry.

With a half ton truck and alot of power I'd say get a 7.5 foot plow, load up the ballast in the rear end and keep your right foot out of it.
  6. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

It will hold one. If you do get a plow I would suggest you crank the torsion bars and add a set of timbrens. Also note your warranty will be bye-bye from Dodge as they expressly forbid use of a plow on the 1500. I would think a poly plow would be best.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

really? what a bunch of pu$$ies. Is that why when you see a 2500 on a dealer lot with a plow already installed its only a puny little 7.5? I've noticed driving by the Dodge dealer that the plows they get installed are so small (short) that you can see pretty much the whole bumper over the top of the plow. Plenty of guys run 8s on them, but dealer must only go with what the factory will allow.
  8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

although the westerns are nice, they are also heavy compared to other plows. Look at blizzard, boss, western, snoway, they all make plows for your truck. Yes their are other companies, look at those also. Are you looking to buy new or used. Call around to the local snow plow dealers.
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Is now the time to be buying a plow in Colorado? ;> I bet if you can find any they're getting top dollar.
  10. PaulT

PaulT Junior Member

Absolutely not.

Best thing to do at this point is give your truck to me, as well as any money you would have been spending on a plow. payup
  11. huskybear

huskybear Junior Member

Thanks for all of your replies. Im actually looking to buy a plow before the next comming winter... I have yet to look around here for dealers so Im unsure of pricing in my area. However I was looking at the Boss sporty 7' 6"... it seems like it would be the mosted suited according to what has been suggested to me so far.

Now, my next question should be... what is the most reasonably price plows in that size?

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what type of truck is it crew cab/reg cab...short or long bed
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, this has been discussed a couple times with varying opinions.

As for mine, sure it can handle it. I wouldn't even be afraid of an 8' with enough ballast.
  14. PLOWMAN45

see i know chevy and gmc 1/2 tons they can take it so can a ford with 7700 package
  15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it will handle it fine. I had a Blizzard 760LT on my 04. Plowed like a champ. I had the 20's with goodyears, wasn't the best tire but it worked.

16. PLOWMAN45

well they ya go wesport
  17. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

A F-150 without the 7700 package could handle it too.

Essentially, the 7700 package on a F-150, makes it a 3/4 ton truck, Bigger Brakes, Suspension, Frame, Axle.
  18. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I too got the 760LT blizzard for my 05 1500 hemi 4x4 2 door. Yet had the drive to install it yet, as the lack of snow ect tends to make me procrastinate more than usual.
  19. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would get a western midweight....
  20. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

we have probably a dozen 1500 chevys in our fleet that have 7-6 western and bosses. They seem to handle it ok but we have had to have them into the frame shop for some fabrication over the years. If your doing light commercial and residential you would be fine...Just an FYI, we have only bought 3/4 tons since 03 now becuase of the better durability.

Good luck with your purchase