1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will my trailer hold a skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 3, 2007.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 7x12 Dump trailer. From ground to the deck is about 3 feet. Can I get a skidsteer up there or will it be to much of a pain being that high? I dont intend on trailering too much.

untitled.JPG

2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Height and Lenth of the bed might be a problem but the gvw will hold it.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I've seen it done, and And if they got pulled over by the mto up here, they would be taken off the road. most bobcats won't fit on there unless the arms are in the air, and straping it down is a problem. as for weight I don't know what that trailer can hold.

4. you could have someone weld up sum ramps at least 9' long and weld hooks on the sides of the trailer to hang the rampes from. the trailer that my uncle uses is the same hight and the ramps are about 6' and the trailer has about 3' inclined or so and theres no probem getting it on and off and if you want to make your rampes longer just add a pair of legs in the middle that slide on and off and to connect it to the trailer weld a square tube thats cut in half to the trailer and the other half on the ramp

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

don't know where everyone is getting the weight of this trailer never mentioned that i can see. 7x12 will hold a small skidsteer no problem you will just need longer ramps that's all.

6. DaySpring Services

Weight is not a problem. It's a 7 ton trailer.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Which Bobcat do you have? I would have thought 12' was long enough. Do you have tie down rings on the floor?

8. DaySpring Services

Nothing yet, but Im leaning towards a Bobcat S250.

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Bobcat s250

Length with Standard Bucket 142.9 in
    = 11 foot 11 inches.

132inch = 11 feet
    142inch -132inch = 10 inches + .9 inch

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The S250 is a big machine, the s185 is 130" and my 325 Deere is 138". You would need a good set of ramps to load a S250, they might weigh a few pounds.

Bruce-thanks for the math break down.

11. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

your fine...we pull out takeuchi on a deckover flatbed trailer...it sits high, just take it easy around corners and make sure you have 2 good tie down points in the front and 2 in the rear

12. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I haul my skid in a dumping trailer. My trailer has a 30" deck height and is 6.5 x 12. It handles the weight just fine and climbing the ramps is not a big deal. I back it in to get enought tounge weight so it tows good. It is really important to park it right since the trailer is so short. I also have a skid trailer but when it is being used on other jobs, or I have a special job the dumper works great. The biggest down fall of towing it in a dumper is the extra weight. My dumper weighs 3,600lbs. empty as where my skid trailer is only around 2,000 lbs. Not a big deal but it is extra weight ,and it adds up. I'd say your good to go no big deal.

13. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I've done it before. It's a PITA to tie the skid down but the trailer will work fine. It is less stable around the turns as your center of gravity is higher.
    Steve

14. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

put d rings on the deck and you will be fine,back it on and you will have no problem

15. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

You might want to check and make sure there is some reinforcement under the tires of the skid steer when it is parked in the trailer. Some of those dump trailers do not have heavy gauge metal in the bottom. As your driving down the road the weight of the skid might deflect the metal.

16. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

17. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the welded in D-rings. My trailer came with them so the loader ties down easily and it tows just fine. Here's what it looks like when it's loaded in my trailer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice set-up. Your truck looks really good.