1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will My Diesel Overheat?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Oct 10, 2005.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

Ok... i am getting a plow installed on wednsday and the place i am getting it from is 30 miles away (All highway). My question is, will my diesel overheat with the plow on going down the highway? I know that diesels dont really overheat but i just wanted to be sure. I also want to know about the air bags on an 02 F-250 SD. Do i need to worry about them going off while plowing if i hit something like a man whole cover or a curb? Thanks guys!

2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

No over heating not a prob, and no air bag prob

3. c.t. lawn care

ok... thanks for your imput... so i can just drive down the road with the plow up all the way if i wanted to?

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i have several diesels you will have no problems . of course drive in the vee or angled position

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, you'll be fine.

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yeah, and I could be wrong, but I think the airbags will only activate if a sensor in the Bumper goes off, not from the plow smacking into something. I think.

7. SnowGuy73

The airbag sensors are in the front bumper and have to be crushed for them to activate.

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Just drive home with the plow down and break in that cutting edge. No I have never had a problem with either of those issues with my diesel. I even smacked a deer off the plow - no airbags.

9. digit

digit Member

The airbag is deployed from stopping fast and impact . For instance if you were going down the road and hit a deer with your bumper but never slammed on the brakes your airbag would not deploy. Get the drift?
    ( according to state fire instructer )

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep an eye on your temp guage and notice where it normally reads when warm. With the plow on just keep checking it. If it starts to climb drop the plow a little and angle it. Just remember you have a new plow with new controls it will move faster then an old one your used to useing.

11. SnowGuy73

This is not true, I just took an Advanced Auto Extrication class...The brakes do not have to be touched for them to inflate.:rolleyes:

1. The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip.

12. Actually,
    That trick of looking at the gauge is useless. Our trucks don't use a real gauge like they should, they read either, cold, normal, or hot. They start out when the truck is cold at the bottom and move up to normal slowly. If you did indeed overheat it, it won't slowly climb to hot, it will just all of a sudden go straight up to hot. The only way to tell if its running warmer than normal is to listen for the fan clutch locking up and the fan running more because of it heating up.

Blake

13. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i drove about 70 miles one day when i picked up a new truck in about 70-80 degree weather in my 450 when i got it with no problems. I had it angled to the point where it was inches off the ground...

14. c.t. lawn care

Thanks guys. You are a big help

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I ran 500 miles a couple weeks ago with the 810 on. The Cummins got hot once when I ran up on a Semi pretty tight. Droped back and hit the defrosters on hot and the fan also kicked in she droped right back down.
    What I did was set my shoes so they were below the cutting edge and ran with the blade about an 1.5 inches up she ran good. When I hit a bump and the plow touched pavement the shoes just touched so no biggee.
    Todd

16. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

On a full size ford, dodge or GM you will not find the air bag sensor behind the bumper, I dont know where they moved them too but they are not located in front of the front axle on the frame.

17. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

if your woried about the truck over heating carie the plow lower to the ground this is comencence.