1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will meyer wings fit my western pro plow?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 17, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I looked at them and dang, they are nice. shaped like mine, but better.

1k bucks sure is a price and a half tho.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Western makes wings for yours. They're $600 or so. People like them better than pro wings.

3. birddseedd

Those don't flex if you strike an object

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Right. They're supposed to trip with your plow

Pro wings are the ones that flex some. Thats food and bad

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Not nearly as expensive as you say they are..
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200392785_200392785

One of the guys on this site installed them on his western. They worked out great!

I'm reluctant to put wings on my plow, as I do a lot of driveways.... some of which are small now for my blade. They are removable, though..http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=131605&highlight=meyer+wings+western+plow

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

^

Thats awesome. They've came down in price. Lot pros are still expensive

7. birddseedd

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

They're not the same, as you... as you normally would....choose something that way over-complicates the issue. The standard 45* ones I posted work fine for their intended purpose, and are about as easy to install as drilling a couple of holes, and ratcheting them in place. You may have to adjust the radius of the rear of each wing to match your plow blade's concave surface of the mold board.

The one's you've spec'd are adjustable angle wings, which I'm sure are way over-engineered for regular snow plowing.. but I guess would provide the versatility of extending the plow in both directions to their full length. You will have to add an additional alignment tube / mount through the side of your plow, as it has a alignment tube attached to it's edge that slides into a receiver built into the side of the plow blade itself. Your plow doesn't have this, and you will need to cut a square hole, and build the receiver tube behind it. They add 140lbs to your plow. The others are only 80 lbs

Good luck with those units, but I wouldn't waste the extra $600 and the amount of time it will take to make it fit your western.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Waste of money over the other ones

Wings IMO are a waste for anything other than open lots. Unless theres a lot of long drives or driveways 4 cars wwide, I don't see advantages.

Just my opinion though

10. birddseedd

Yea. not much use for roads or drives. but dang, they save a lot of time on lots.

11. birddseedd

What i like about them is that they can collapse. so if you bump something, they don't get bent.

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Can I make a suggestion ?

How about just not hitting anything ? You know, like Flag poles....um... and berms on the side of the road ???

13. birddseedd

ill do some research and talk to a buddy of mine, see if thats doable

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Cool. You've really got nothing to worry about anyway....

The back of the truck is what you're supposed to hit stuff with....not the other side with the plow on it.. So far, you're right on target, which will allow you to get the cheaper wings that essentially won't bend because you'll be too busy using the back end of the truck for it's intended purpose.