1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will lifting truck affect plow operation?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Feb 16, 2003.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Here's my problem. I've got timbrens on the front of my 96 F250 PSD. I put them in temporarily to deal with my front end sag while I've got the plow on. They work great in dealing with front end sag, but the ride leaves alot to be desired. Plus I don't like the frame taking direct hits from bumps when it could pass through the shocks and springs first. I'm looking at a lifting my truck a couple of inches. For instance the tuff country 2.5" lift. Only thing is my plow pins are already above the snoway's recommended height of 11". I installed the subframe as low as possible. Will lifting the subframe those couple of inches affect the strength and wear on the plow? The only problem I can think of, is that if the lift cylinder drops the whole way down and still doesn't allow the plow to contact the road. Anyone have any ideas or insight, or perhaps someone has already gone through this? Thanks, Nick.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On plows the a frames need to ride somewhat levl to achieve the best overall performace. By lifting the mounting point a few things will happen.
    1- the plow will trip alot more often
    2- when fully angles left or right, the side closest to the truck will lift off the ground

So you can lift the truck, but you will need to lower the mounting points the same amount the truck is lifted.
    Dino

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Pops,

If you change the frame height beyond a certain criterea, the plow will not scrape properly in all angles and your cutter edges will wear irregularly.

Yes, with the blade "straight" you'll be fine, but in other positions, not so.

The problem is exaggerated when you have a V-plow.

You may have some custom fab work to do if you're going to lift that frame.

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

how about a stiffer set of springs?

5. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Unless you really want a lift on you truck why don't you consider new springs. My friend has a '93 F-250 that was sagging pretty bad so he brought it to a spring shop and they made a custom set of leave springs that were better than new factory ones. If you go with the lift you will need to address not only the plow mount but maybe even driveline angles. I think lift's are cool for off road trucks, but personally I don't think there the best for plow/work trucks.

6. noclevername

noclevername Member

I agree with the comments that state that the plow frame needs to run parallel with the road for best results.
    FYI, one of my trucks is a '97 F250 PSD with an old style fisher (ie: heavy and not a MM) plow. I've run Firestone air bags since new and have found them to be great. I run about 5 psi in them without the plow mounted (that's what the man. recommends) and about 60 psi mounted. It's incredible what a difference it makes. No bottoming out, no sag when you're piling snow, no front end dips in hard braking and no wallowing as you hit the frost heaves driving down the road. And the truck drives like stock when you air them down.
    In regards to the lift, one of my other trucks (older F250, my "off road pulling the boat and ski-doo's" truck) has a Rough Country 4" lift with 12-50 x 33 x 16.5 BFGs. I had the plow mounting brackets (the ones at the rear) raised up 6" to compensate for the lift and tires and ran a longer chain, it plows as stock. I think the key is to have the plow frame parallel to the road for the trip and angle to work correctly. Look into the air bags though, I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I get those Timbrens off the truck they are going to cost you an axle.It is basically riding on the stops which is not good.Timbrens work on some trucks,not others.I tried Monroe Muscles on my Dodge,took they right off,they do not work at all on that truck,you might as well put a block of 4x4 of wood between the axle and factory bump stop.Now on my GMC they work great,due to the leverage involved it rides great even when its on them.Get a set of HD springs installed,this will solve your problem.

8. noclevername

noclevername Member

Further to John's comments re. the Timbrens, that is one of the air bags greatest assets. They absorb the shock they don't just transmit it to the frame. You adjust the amount of weight that they carry by adjusting the air pressure, unlike a set of heavier springs which will ride really rough without the plow. I've heard concerns about the life expectancy of the air bags but after over 5 years there are no cracks or checks in the rubber and mine have a 10 year guarantee and they're not a real big deal to change. I did the whole installation myself and the biggest "thing" was running the air lines neatly and where I wanted them. :)

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

BAH!!!

:D

b7.jpg

10. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Big Nate,

I knew that remark would get a rise out of somebody. :p

11. Big Nate's Plowing

everybody says anything over 2" wont work, BS you can have 12" of lift and 44" superswampers and still plow, drop the bracket & lift chain, I had to custom make one that was 4" longer to compensate for the tires:)

bracket.jpg

12. John DiMartino

Nate,buy ruuning a huge drop bracket,you are effectively putting leverage bar on the plow frame,this inceases the the stresses on the trucks frame by a a substantial amount with a 12" lift.While it can be done,your taking a chance with the f=trucks frame,especially if the plow is abused,used hard,you may teak the truck frame before you bend/break the a frame,or plow.

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

John, he's got a Meyer. Think about it a second. The Ford will be just fine, it's the Meyer I'm worried about with Nate along for the ride! ROFLMAO :drinkup:

14. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

I have a filted for superduty and it works fine. The plow scrapes much better. It has a 4" lift and 35's.

15. John DiMartino

Bushhogboy, LOL. iski3d,the 4" drop isnt to bad,but dropping the plow pin holes 12" think about the lerage that puts on the truck frame if the frame was 18" above the plow attachment bolts before,now it will be around 30+,even more if you run big tires, the plow bracket is basically trying to bend the front of the truck frame right around the front spring mounts as you push snow,at this point,with all the extra leverage it stands a much better chance if doing it.

16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Also I beleive lifting a truck and plowing with it is harder on your transmission which is more susceptible to overheating, you get worse fuel mileage, visibility is less, making it harder to maneuver in tight areas, etc.
    In short, I probably wouldn't put anything over 35" tires on it. 35" is the perfect look anyway.

17. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

My father has plowed since 1979 with a lifted '79 Blazer and a 8' Meyer. The truck has 9" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 44" tires. The truck uses stock gears (3:73) and the stock 400 small block and 400 tranny. (Although it was cooler with the 454 LS6.) The plow A frame has been modified to attach to the stock plow frame mount. Power angle hoses were lengthened 18". The truck uses the stock headlights (@50" tall) and no plow lights. Plows great with the full time 4X4. It never has been in low range... and never been stuck....

The downfall to a lifted plow truck is judging distance... but if its your daily driver that makes it easier.

Remember that a body lift doesn't effect your plow frame height, but the bigger tires you can run will.

18. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

i havent had any problems with my truck or plow. it is a really heavy duty setup and anyone who sees the rig in person thinks it is the coolest thing ever. it has gotten me many accounts. check it out

my turck

19. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

i actually do not own a turck but rather a truck

ahahah :eek:

20. Big Nate's Plowing

Wheres YOUR Truck ?? :confused: :confused:

if you are going with a set of add a leafs then you will be fine:rolleyes: I did 2" coil spacers and air bags up front and, f-250 springs & add a leafs in the back

~Nate~

1truck1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003