1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will It Work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by S&S, Oct 22, 2006.

1. S&S

S&S Junior Member

I have a 2003 GMC 1500HD 8600 GVWR, 4410 GAWR front, 6000 GAWR rear, 6.0L gasser, 4:10 ratio front and rear, heavy duty towing pkg, duel batt. Torsion bars have been turned up and front end aligned. I am going to put Timbrens front and rear. Iam looking at a BOSS 7'6" power V or a 7'6" super duty steel straight plow. Ireally like the Power V. Thanks Mike:help:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. S&S

S&S Junior Member

I did that and they tell me 7'6" standard straight, poly straight or standard trip-edge. The v is 790lbs. Trip is700lbs. super straight is 709lbs. What I am thinking is that if I can put a 7'6" standard trip on why won't it say that I can Put a 7'6" super duty straight steel on at 709lbs. the V might be pushing it, but I know a guy that has a v on a 1/2 ton Dodge sport. Sorry to sound like a idiot but I am new to plowing and you guys push more snow than we do in St. Louis

4. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

your pick, your decision

If you are doing light duty go with the v-plow (steel, & poly is another 30lbs+) its only 790 lbs. for the 7.6 and 860 lbs for the 8.2 which I threw on my 1500 truck. The reason i went with the 8.2 is that the plow will outlast my 98 truck, and I plan on getting a bigger truck in the next year or two. So I might as well be prepared for bigger and better things.

5. S&S

S&S Junior Member

I will be a sub. cont. doing high end com.lease prop.

6. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

talk with your contractor, ask them how many v-plows versus straight blades they have on the account. But from the sounds of it, a v-plow would be the most beneficial plow thus your clean-up time will be cut down, with the advantage of having the scoop feature. It seems that you will be doing parking lots?

7. S&S

S&S Junior Member

I have seen some of them and it is a mix he has 150-200 subs. I had one guy tell me that once you use a V that you will not go back to straight. I guess it is all in what you can afford. Mike

8. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Mike
    Well, If were you, i would go with the 8.2 for starters, my Brother lives east of Mount Vernon, IL, and they had a snow fall last year that gave them hell. You never know, you can make an investment to make a few more bucks or sit and watch. But you could have paid most if not all of that price tag back within a year, and the rest is cake.

Good Luck,
    Mike

My price for a 8.2 was $4,200 plus smart lock $200. Figure in about another 300 for install and about 400 for timbres and ballast in the rear.

9. S&S

S&S Junior Member

Would't the 8.2 over work the truck 1500HD. The dealer I talked to uses them on 1ton dodges.

10. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

11. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

it depends on what your truck is worth so to speak. I for one have only 80k on my 98, and have been using a 94 Chevy 1500 Z71 package 160k, straight blade, and has had its share of problems, but nothing serious, And it still works like a champ! But that plow is always on, connected. With Boss and others, you have options, not to go into detail but, with Boss (Smart Hitch System) you disconnect the hole entire plow from your truck, therefore you are not constanlty riding around with it on. You will more than likely have the plow on in your area for about 10 to 20 days throughout the season and the rest of the time its in the garage. For 2" + snow falls, and you being the only driver that will I assume take's care of your equipment versus company trucks and the wear and taer that comes with that. Just take it easy and don't beat the crap out of it and you will get to know what your limits are. In any of these forums you will find problems with trucks reagardless of size, it all depends on how you treat it. I for one, am confident that I will not overload the truck, and not beat the hell out of it.
    Mike
    Proud Chevy owner

12. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

plow weight

1 thing to consider is where the weight is.With a v plow you can travel with both wings back, bringing the weight closer to the axle therefore lowering the actual stress on the front end. If you can do a job quicker you have also saved on wear and tear on the truck, even if you have added a few pounds.

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

id go with the 8.2, im about to put one on my half ton, so i think yours will be fine/.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've been running an 8'2" Boss on a Dodge 1500 since '96. No more or less front end problems than any of my other Dodges.

Not sure if it's an option, but before you pull the trigger might want to look into a Blizzard SpeedWing. Way more productive than a v-plow.