1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will I destroy the truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Sep 27, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I purchased a Chevy 1500 1995 with Western 8.5 Unimount plow.The question is the previous guy used this truck, for how long I don'nt know to plow with.He took the plow off a dump truck thatwas 2 wheel drive and mounted on the truck I own now.I know that this size plow is not recommended for this truck despite the fact he placed timbrens on front/rear end.Will this set work plowing parking lots or driveways or should I consider selling it then placing 7.5 on it.He also had a tailgate salter with it,a good size one at that.Another option is sell the whoole set up this month a purchase a new set up which I really don'nt want to do.Truck runs great.Dave

2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

sounds like that truck has already been "destroyed". Get rid of it.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you are going to strip off the plow and sander why did you buy the truck?

You are on the right track I just do not think you have thought this snow plowing thing all of the way through yet.

I would keep the plow and spreader and sell the truck.
    :rolleyes: JMO
    You would be better off with a 3/4 ton instead for plowing lots.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

1500 with that weight - I've seen it done.
    Add a trans cooler - check the trans fluid first - it may already be too late.
    Bigger alternator
    check frame for cracks

5. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Way too much plow for that size truck. If it were me I would look at buying a used 7.5. This time of year everybody that traded in a truck is selling a used plow. Might be able to get a good deal.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with SnoFarmer:salute:

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

thats your most logical answer. I definately agree.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Well this set-up must have been workin for the previous guy so why not just keep on givin'er... Milk that truck for all its worth, If its previously done that work, why cant it do it anymore? You wount be getting much for that truck if you sell it to start out with...

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree. Since you already have this setup you might as well run it. You can look for a smaller blade if you want, but in the mean time just don't be an animal with the truck and put the blade on to plow and then take it off when your done. IMO most of the damage done to your truck is when driving around when there is no snow to plow.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more JD... most of the damage and wear a truck see's is due to the operator and how he uses/abuses it..not the plow itself.

Plows don't kill trucks...operators kill trucks...:D

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No operator no plow they go hand and hand.
    He wants to plow commercial lots with a overloaded 1/2 ton.

Yea, I'd be worried about driving around town lol,,,,,

plowing with it, is good for it:nod:

What is your back up plan when the mighty 1/2 sh!ts the bed?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The old owner must be the same guy I see with 2 pallets of salt in the back of a 1/2 ton Chevy.The bump stops are the rear bumper on the pavement! I would trade down to a smaller plow. Your pushing your luck with an over loaded front end. Recommended plows are Recommended by the plow manufacturer for a reason.

13. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I find myself agreeing with JD quite a little and heres another one if you bought run it run her till she's totally shot keep a welder handy and try to use it just for plowing only

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The weight difference between a 7 1/2 and a 8 1/2 is 33lbs according to Westerns web site. You are already at 700 lbs I don't think 33 more is going to kill it. I have a friend running a 860 Speedwing on a Avalanche and a 8 1/2 Poly on a 99 Tahoe.

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Exactly! Plus once you start plowing your gonna say I'll never go any smaller then what I already have and you will be so thankful that you kept that plow. lol, 33 lbs will not make or break my truck!