1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will I break my plow doing this?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hey guys... question for those of you more experienced than I am...

With all the snow and wind over the last few weeks, I have one drift that has been getting out of hand. It's on a corner of my trail that crests over a ridge, and the wind blows over the ridge hard enough that there are no trees there. Anyway - the drift there routinely builds up to 6 or 7 feet tall, and the grade is pretty flat there, so the drift is solid - no crest to push off. So I end up chipping away at it and pushing the snow down the trail to where I can push it off the side and down the hill...

So, for the chipping away process, as the drift gets really solid, it gets harder and harder to pull snow off of it. So what I've been doing is extending the wings forward and backing the truck up along the drift, scraping the edge of the drift with the extended plow wing. I've gotten a good touch to where I can grab just a couple of inches and so far it seems to work really well. I'm just concerned about whether the plow frame is designed to be stressed this way and whether I will break something in the long run. As of yet, the plow doesn't seem to be complaining...

On a similar note - can anyone speak to how you have the wing pressure release set on your plow? Mine is set pretty light... Any heavy load of snow will fold the wing back... How do you guys have yours set up, and what sort of tasks are you able to do with it before the wings start folding? I'm thinking about tightening mine up, but again - I don't want to transfer too high a load onto the other components.

But that's why I'm here asking... Anyone have experience with this? Is this the plow equivalent of pushing sideways with your backhoe bucket? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody. :salute:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Chip it forward first that will be easier on the wings.
  3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for the reply...

The way the pressure release is on the wings now - there's no chance. As soon as the wing hits the hard snow, it folds back. I can scrape a little going forward with the wing folded back, but it seems to compress the drift even more...
  4. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I felt the same way when I bought my 9'2''. You can adjust your wing relieve pressure. I consulted by dealer when I was having the same issue. He said that they have it pretty close from the factory to the max, he said he wouldn't be afraid to tweak it up about a 1/4 turn. It isn't much but it seems to hold a bit better now. After doing it I believe that you could go up a half turn on the set screw. The adjustment is on the pump, just search the threads as its been 2 years since I did mine and cant remember just were it was. Sounds like a snow fence is in order next year.... good luck
  5. bossman34

bossman34 Member

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Reason I love my MVP over my Boss V You can chip at big drift with out the wings folding back
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your not wrecking your blade the way your doing it now then I'd just keep doing it for limited amount your really doing it. I'd rather keep the reliefs set light for going forward as that's when your more then likely to use them. You'll find out pretty fast if the way your doing it is going to wreck something.
  8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for the tips guys... We had another 10" last night and 75mph winds... Took a while to get thjngs sorted out this morning. I took a little different approach with the drift and have been able to peal some off going forwards. I don't think i want to mess with the PR for this, but I really appreciate the info. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Hard to believe it's not even snow season yet! They just lost the road across the valley from me.. They weren't keeping up on the drifts and moving the piles... Even with 4 trucks. Buncha lazy bums... They'll be snowshoeing in over there until july!