1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will I be okay with the single battery?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm wondering- will I be okay plowing resi's this winter with my '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD and Fisher MMII 8'HD battery wise? The truck has plow prep, has the 145A alternator, single battery. My question is- will I be okay with the one battery? Also- where could I get the battery tray for a second battery,a nd how hard is it wo wire in a second battery?

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You will be find, your just have to watch,

In small lots, if we got the overheads going, headlights on, radio playing, 2-ways on heater on, we have to watch. but 90% of the time were ok.

Napa will have the trays
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You will find out very quickly if you need 2 batteries. We put them in soon as the plow goes on unless it came with 2. Some people make out ok with 1 but we have found 2 is much better. Don't worry try it out with 1 and see how it goes.
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

some gms already come with 2 trays all you need is the wiring
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Matt where i work we have trucks very simmilar to yours (except ours are chevys) anyways they do fine with 1 battery. but we arent running any fishers. as stated above try it out with 1 battery and if it seems like it lacks electrical power then spring for dual batteries.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Anyone know how much a battery tray costs for my truck, and where it would be mounted?
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Depending where you get it itll cost between $15 and $30..It gets mounted like this on our style trucks...

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

06 BOSS Could you post a pic of what the tray looks like w/o the battery if possible?
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i did a second battery this summer in my truck 2000 chevy 2500 dual optimas the thread is here some where with pics
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

How'd your truck do with the single before?
  11. PLOWMAN45

its was good no problem i used 1 optima red top i have a 145 amp alt in there on my 6.0
  12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

The tray is easily mounted. If you buy the same truck with diesel, it comes with 2 batteries, they use the same tray. It mounts in the corner right in front of the passenger door. I got my tray from the dealer, not hard to get.
  13. PLOWMAN45