1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will I be happy ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dogplow Dodge, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

:drinkup:Test drove this at my local showroom. Thought it was a good / heavy duty product and should last a while based upon initial impressions. Unfortunately, it's a $100 less online, so I ordered it for the next snowfall

(yeah, I know I'm a dick for doing that, but work has been slow and that $100 buys 4 + cases of yeungling)

Anyone have one ? I tried searching for the 70hd but it came up as not found.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Looks nice. I have never used that model before but I'm sure you will be happy.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

It's a sturdy unit from what I can tell by looking at the showroom one (the only one they had), as even if I wanted to buy it, I would have had to take the floor model. I tend to enjoy assembling them myself, so that wasn't really an option unless I was desperate.

First "real" ice combatant distribution mechanism....... Looking forwards to killing me some ice patches...

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

does he look happy in pic?

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

No, he looks like his nads hurt from freezing to death...

I'll just dress warmer:D
  6. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I have one. Haven't used in a few years since I stopped offering sidewalk salting, but overall I didn't have any problems with it. The blocking panel is a little annoying, would be much more convenient if it was permanently attached with maybe flaps that fold down instead of being a removable piece. Might be a good idea to tape a few spare nuts and carriage bolts to it, I seem to recall losing a few. Maybe lock-tite them when you assemble it and you won't have any problems, who knows. Good luck with it.
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I bought the regular hotshot in a pinch last year and it was the biggest pile of junk. They had little self tappers holding the slide area on and we redid it before even using it. The plastic slide for the metering broke soon after and the main gears I found out later were just plastic. What a joke. I bought Agrifab spreaders for a hundred bucks less and they are built way better. I will never buy a Meyers product again.
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks a lot!!!!!!! I just spit pepsi all over my keyboard!!!!! That made my night!!!! Good one!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  9. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I have it and its been working very well for the past couple of years. The only part that I dont like is the guard on it to stop the salt. Other wise its been great. My Ice B Gone salt goes through it as well unlike some other spreaders.
  10. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Looks like a nice unit. I also like the agrifab. Lot cheaper and holds around 80-90lbs and just keeps going and going. The guy in the pic must be using some great stuff. It melts as fast as he goes over it.:drinkup:
  11. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Me likey !! First impressions are that its very well made.

Can't wait to get some snow again to try it out.

12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

better than mine, im not sure mine was actually made for salt.

for several hundred bucks i was surprised to see the gearing is plastic.

I plan on stuffing my gearbox with a synthetic grease (oil based can hurt plastic). Think this is a good idea?

with those flat pieces making the salt fall flat down, how do you cover the entire width of the sidewalk?
  13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They fold up. Theyre adjustable to keep salt on sidewalks
  14. birddseedd

I see. i might try to mod something like that to mine. dog plow's sure looks beefy. the ones offered at my dealer are plastic foreign crap.
  15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

It doesn't have to be made for salt, although it helps. If you simply wash out the spreader after the season, you can solve a lot of the rusting issues that occur. I wash my old one out in between times of storms, as we get periods of warming up, and no snow for a few days to a few weeks. Problem is freezing, as I have to bring it inside to dry out prior to the next storm, otherwise it will freeze solid, and the blade won't spin (found this out the hard way).

Manufacturer says to clean the gears out from time to time, but is not exactly clear on how to lubricate them. This is what the owners manual says...
    Doesn't really make sense to me.

4. Remove gear cover and wash gears thoroughly. Oil all bearing areas and face of gear teeth. Lubricate gear teeth with dry graphite. Reinstall gear cover.

The sidewalks I do are only about 2.5 feet wide. If need be, such as where I'm at a 3.5' walkway, I'll just do one side, and come back the same way (other side of walk) to the truck. You just have to use minimal dump settings for salt or sand, otherwise you'll overdo the amount needed.

The instruction manual gives an idea on how to get your spreads:

I just got off the phone with a tech guy (Tom) at Meyer. he said under no circumstance should you pack the gear area with any grease, as it's going to prematurely wear out the ring and pinion gears. They're actually saying that NO OIL to be used on the teeth either, as it will allow debris from the spreading process to stick on the gears and not shed off during use. Dry Graphite is the only thing they're recommending for the teeth / gear surfaces, as it sheds any debris that contacts it. oil can be used on the "bearing surfaces" only where the shaft spins inside, but keep it to a minimum, as it's not good to have any product that will allow stickage to the gear surfaces to accumulate.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. birddseedd

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, this could be the answer then.

He said you can use just about any product that will not be a plastic solvent based, that will not allow anything to "stick" to it. Teflon spray sounds good, although I would have to look to make sure it doesn't have any oil solvents in it. IOW, it needs to be plastic compatible .

Im just going to use graphite as they suggested I do, this way if anything goes bad, I can say they did it.
  18. birddseedd

At 400 bucks i cant blame ya.

I know the dupont stuff is good with o Rings. Tho thats rubber.

Synthetic greese is something you use with plastics. Not sure who sells it tho.

Nice spreadder hope you get payup
  19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

So far, it works quite well, I must say. pretty easy to gauge the pattern of materials you're spreading, and on sidewalks the guards work well.

I do have one notation. You can't pull the unit backwards. You have to spin it on it's free wheel, as the wheels aren't designed to go in reverse. After re-reading the instruction manual, this is apparently the way it's designed to work.