1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will Hydraulic Jack oil be ok for a E47?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by berg, Dec 9, 2008.

1. berg

berg Member
    from utah

I have access to 4 gal and thought I'd put it to use. I read a couple post that had used it.
    The closest Meyer dealer told me I'd have to order their stuff ant $12 a qt.
    I'd really like to put the Hydro jack oil to use if it's OK. I am going to do a naptha flush and
    fill today if you think its OK.

thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

It can be used, however I highly recommend that you dont. at least it is better than ATF!:drinkup:

3. berg

berg Member
    from utah

Whats the drawbacks?........oil is oil as my dad used to tell me:confused:

4. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

I work for a Oil company, and called my techie in lubricants, asking what would be proper fluid, since many vendors of plows buy from Oil Co's and have there own brand, stock mineral used are lower quality then Oil Co's would have. Therefore since on the Eastern Side of Canada, with variable temperatures, I was told from his professional view. an HVI grade 22 based oil would be best suited for electric plow hydraulic system.
    ATF or aka Dexron I.II,III are also usable but are only stable to -45 with lower cold start. HVI 22 fluid would give a cold start of -45c with a higher poor of within -55+

Only prob is, the oil company would only carry in 20L format 5g pail and would be under 60 bucks or near there, depending of price ratio.
    Hope this helps out tymusic

5. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Viscosity is not the problem with ATF, the Detergents in ATF eat the seals in the pump.

6. m2low

m2low Member

there are chemicals in sno plow oil that help keep moisture out - its worth it in something thats inherant to moisture and can freeze... last thing you need is a chunk of ice stopping your blade from going back up cause you used some cheap fluid.. aircraft fluid would work also for the hydros on planes but its just as expensive if not more... another trick for hydros is a SMALL amount of ether in the fill hole, this will dry up the moisture in the lines as it comes... I mean small amount so you dont also dry up the seals... maybe half a cap full from an ether can. regular jack oil does not have anything to keep moisture from getting in, and freezing - think if you left your floor jack outside in the 30 below for a day, then tried to use it, most likely it would not lift, and probably break the seal and leak fluid all over the ground...

7. m2low

m2low Member

AND at $12 a quart only needing maybe 2 quarts is worth it for the peice of mind if you ask me... but I dont like trying to repair a cracked line, or stuck cylinder at 2AM in 30 below with windchill...