1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will first finish

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tdlanders, Dec 23, 2015.

1. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

Hi, just wondering given that my budget is tight and I want to get my rig up and running this season will the firstTrax "prosomer" series hold up to the duties of parking lot and driveway cleaning long enough to pay for itself and be worth trading in a season or two for a VXF or speedwing? Any recommendations under $4K total are welcome.

Truck: 04 2500 HD
    Conditions: paved lots with stop blocks and speed humps

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to say no. Just looking at them I don't see how they will hold up to commercial use.
    Imo keep saving up, or start looking around for used plows

3. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

I currently have an old Meyer 7' 6" poly, and have been looking into the Snow Dogg 8' 6" v-plow. Prices I've seen seem reasonable around the $4,000 budget.

4. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

A new V Plow for $4000 what is the catch???:confused:

5. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

No catch that I know of, planning on stopping at the dealer soon to discuss numbers, had given me the $4,000 quote via phone.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

The catch is theyre crap

7. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

What makes them crap?

8. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

I see Buyers equipment on county and city rigs. The same municipalities that once ran Myers and Westen. So they can't be 100% crap. What makes them not worth the money? Exclude dealer support I do all my own work.
    :mechanic:

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Low bid? That's how government normally works. This doesn't mean Buyers is crap because I have no experience with Buyers stuff.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Not saying all buyers is crap at all but know many people who had there plows and they didnt hold up to the abuse. One company by us used them for one year then replaced them all the following season. In saying that Im sure their are people out there that have had good experiences with them. I love the saltdogg we have.

11. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

I guess I'll wait and get a good deal on a used Plow from the county next year;-)

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Go to a dealer that sells both the Buyers stuff, and other plows. There's a guy here in NJ that has Boss and Buyers. Look at them side by side. That's all it will take for you to know "what's wrong with them". They're a light duty plow that's about it. Sure it would be good for doing a few driveways here and there.

13. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

Is there anything coming out of the boss stables at the $4K price point? And before someone says "you get what you pay for" or something of that line I have a budget and can not excide it. :help:If money where no object I would be driving a 2016 and pushing with a custom built pto powered 10' expandable with GPS and coffee maker.

A new "lite" Plow with a warranty is better to me than a used "pro" Plow with a note from Buds grandmother that he was a good boy.:angel:
    I can make money with something but the longer is sit the more I don't.payup

Sorry if I sound like an small gray equine fram animal.:cry:

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

IMO, you don't necessarily need a boss plow. Westerns or meyer or fisher all work fine. I'm sure buyers works fine too. I was simply making a comparison to the two plows because it was such a stark contrast when they were both sitting in front of me. Boss plows are really super heavy, and can't be installed on just any truck. They can wipe out a front suspension very quickly if installed on the wrong application. The buyers plow looked very "light duty" with regards to it's physical construction. Just doesn't look like it would take abuse very well, and all these plows are being abused regardless of how careful we are with them. I'm sure they work fine for what they do. I just wonder about their longevity.

I love my old unimount. Its nearly 20 years old, works great, easy to fix, can be rebuilt for very little money. If money was no object, I'd pick up a new plow, but I'm good for now. Trying not to fix what isn't broken.

BTW..... Good idea about the coffee maker built into the plow. You really should patent that...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  15. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I would say the guys dogging Buyers have never actually used them. They make a damn fine plow. The 8'6" V for $4K is low. Money says they are quoteing the 7'6" V-MD.

My local Boss dealer poo pooed Snowdogg but still carries them. Must be a reason. Probably more margin on a Boss is the difference is my guess guess. I bought the Dogg. Lot of folks use them and swear buy them. Mine just works. Look at 5-6 year old Snowdoggs with the stainless mold boards. Why do the other mfgs now offer stainless?

Same argument applies to most anything, best truck, best motorcycle, best hand gun.... blondes vs redheads vs brunettes....on and on ...

16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, you got me there. All those ladies are my favorites:)

17. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

I am applying for a Chinese patient

18. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

If you need a plow to make you money this year till you save more money look into something used(name brand) that can bolt to your truck(plow with truck brackets) You can use them for a year and still get most of your investment out of them the year after if you take good care of them... That is your best bet unless you can call around and get a good deal like me... I got my boss for 5k and it was never plowed with.. I got it from my 2nd nearest dealer!

Depending on your credit situation call your bank and see what they can get you a loan for... Last winter I borrowed 5k since I was laid off. I had the money to pay for my plow but wanted to have a chunk of change to sit on in case I needed to fix something(especially since I drive a 12 yr old dodge cummins haha) But I was paying 89.00 a month for it till I paid it off in may.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

They're not light duty at all. If you haven't had one personally or had bad experiences with one, you've got no business bum wrapping them. They have bigger lift and angle cylinders than the stock Westerns do (you can get the bigger ones on Western, but they're an option, and standard on Snowdogg), and the stainless is heavier than Western's stainless. 12 vs. 14 gauge. I've been running mine commercially for three years and have never had a single problem with it. And you'll find my receipt attached below. And don't forget to subtract for the Timbrens and labor for Timbren install.

Plow Receipt [1600x1200].jpg

20. tdlanders

tdlanders Junior Member

Ok it looks like I'm just going to drive a few hundred miles from DC to get a deal on one.