1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will extra weight of b/drag blade on plow wear out motor?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve b, Dec 20, 2002.

1. steve b

steve b Member

I'm thinking of adding a back drag blade to my old Electro- Touch Meyer plow. Will the extra weight put to much stress on the the motor? Has anyone put one on and been disappointed with it.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The extra weight will not hurt it,as long as it is not excessive.Keep the backdrag blade as light as possible,and you'll be fine.If the blade is designed and built correctly it should work great.Make sure it has some angle to it,as if it is too straight up the plow will lift and ride up over the snow.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Steve b,
    Are you asking if the extra weight of extra blade on the back side of your plow will overload the pump??

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Meyer uses the same pump on there diamond line and they are heavy plows. So no extra wear but I would not put one on a meyer. The angle rams are much lower than other blades so the back blades hit them when the blade folds forward tripping.

What happened with my Meyers on my 77 Dodge. The backdragger tore pivot pins right out of the plow. I had to have the plow all rewelded. So, I would say it is not worth putting one on your plow.