1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will any hydraulic fluid work for my Boss snow plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 90pioneer, Nov 5, 2011.

1. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

I have a brand new Boss Power V plow. While messing around with it today it was chattering. I read that this can be caused by low hydraulic fluid.

I checked the fill port elbow thing and I could not see any fluid. So I guess they didn't fill it all the way up.

I will need to use the plow in the morning and the Boss plow dealer is closed today.

Does it matter if the hydraulic fluid I use is not Boss specific? There is a Fisher plow dealer I could probably get some fluid from tonight.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

if you can't get the Boss fluid you can use Western or Meyer or Buyers low temp hydraulic fluids

3. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

So the fluid the fisher dealer has probably won't work?

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You can also use transmission fluid.

Lots here will botch and moan at me, but i have done it before without problems and actually carry 1L bottles in every truck.

5. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

If you do this in a Meyer pump, it voids the warranty doesn't it? I am sure it works but.......

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you can because the viscosity is relatively the same.
    You sir get a gold star for such a good answer.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not at low temperatures it isn't. ATF is up to 11 time thicker than dedicated plow fluid (or fluids meeting the same specs as such) thus increasing amp draw on the electricals both on the plow and truck side. We've fixed many issues over the years simply because the owner was running ATF. On the Boss's specifically it's normally related to wing relief issues. Thicker fluid simply doesn't work as intended with them and they believe it's a problem in the hydro manifold when in actuality it's the fluid.

Guys will spend $6000 on a piece of equipment and then run it on $3 qt fluid...to save $14. :rolleyes:

8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

OP was in a pinch.

If you do not have/carry hydraulic fluid you can find ATF at a gas station in the middle of the night.

If it gets you thru the night, then the long term fix it later.