1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a Western V-plow cut down the plowing time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MSsnowplowing, Nov 1, 2012.

1. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Hello,

I am currently running a Western Pro Plus 8 ft plow on my truck.

I'm thinking of switching over to the Western V-plow to improve my plowing times.

Example:

If 4 contracts takes me 4 hours to plow with my current plow.

Well the V-plow cut my time down by say 1 hour?

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience in switching over?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

3. MSsnowplowing

Thanks

So if you want to maximize productivity then get the western wideout as it will cut the most time off your route guaranteed that is if you are doing all lots.

My contracts are hotels, gas stations, large business parking lots -(roughly about over 100 parking spots) I do strictly commercial for seasonal contracts and once in a while emergency plow out for a residental.
    My average plow time at the contracts I have is about 1 hour to 1 1/2, the problem is most of my places have parking on either side of the road so I get caught cleaning up trails a lot as I just can't push the snow to one side.

I did that on the western site also.
    I looked at the wideout but everyone I know that got one had problems with it even last year with just 18 inches of snow.
    I well stick with a plow that I can fix by myself if need be.

I would love to put the western v plow 9.6 on my truck but don't think it can handle it in the long run, 2006 Ford f-350.

So going with the 8.6 western v plow is more viable.

But spending the money to increase a plow size by .6 inches and giving me the option to angle it is the question.

If it decreases my plow time enough, then yes it is worth it.

If I can cut 20 minutes to half an hour off my time at each property, that is well worth the cost of getting a new v plow.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. Burkartsplow

the thing about the wideout is it becomes an 8 foot straight blade so you can still do tight drives with it if need be. You truck will handle the wideout and the 9.6V fine and the type of properties you are doing the wideout is the best choice to save you time. I have both the 8.6 and wideout and split a 2 acre lot right in half and the wideout won easily. But they are both better then a straight. you stated your properties have parking on both side of the road and they both control runoff, but the wideout will move more and contain more snow over the long runs with less spill off.
    You say everyone had problems with there wideout, What were those problems. I have gone 2 seasons with my xls and all i had was a hose come lose from the cylinder. I install my own plows and put them together completely from scratch but now they come pretty much assembled. But by doing that you learn about the plow inside and out and hence are able to diagnose any problems and fix them yourself. Plus with getting it installed some of those techs are not as careful as you would be. Check their work after you get to make sure it is perfect.
    Either way in the end you are going to save time but you said they are seasonal and the more time you save on them, then the more money you make in the end. Wideout is going to do that for. I see i am pushing the wideout on you and i am sorry, but it is more productive. In the end it is your preference and both will save you time.

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I have 2 fisher extreme v's an 8-6 and a 9-6. I had upgraded from a 8 and 9 ft Meyers. Let me tell you it is night and day in productivity. So much faster. But then again it depends on what your plowing but generally your times get cut WAY down. The 9-6 stainless extreme V is on a 2002 f-350 mason dump and it handles it absolutely fine. I wanted to put the fisher xls (fisher version of the wideout) but the dealer I go to had sold out of them and it would have been a longer waiting period than I was willing to wait. I do no the xls or wideout would deffinatly be more productive than the v but a 9-6 with wings is about the same as a wideout. There is nothing better than being 10 wide in a 3/4 ton-1 ton. They only thing that was concerning me about the xls/wideout was the wings having rubber cutting edges. I was worried about longevity and scraping ability. The blizzard plow which is the original expandable has steel cutting edges on the wings but the plow is a full trip not a trip edge. I personally would never buy a full trip plow again after having my Meyers. The other down side to the xls was it didn't come in stainless steel like the v but I don't even think it is an option for western on either. I also truely believe that the v scrapes a lot better thAn an xls/wideout due to the cutting edge set up. Either way you cannot go wrong with either of them and I would never buy a straight blade again for a truck that can handle a v or expandable.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If your unsure go and buy a set of Western wings for your plow. You will be surprised how quick the plowing goes and then you can decide if you want to spend the extra money on the new plow.

7. MSsnowplowing

problems I saw

8. MSsnowplowing

Wings for the plow

I have the wings for my Pro Plus, I hate them to be honest.

At first they were okay, but with my contracts I was having to jump in and out of my truck to switch sides back and forth.

I stopped using them the first year, second year tried it again and while it did reduce the trail offs, It didn't make up for the time of me hopping in and out of my truck, so it was a wash out.

9. MSsnowplowing

Weight with the v-plow

10. Burkartsplow

You are correct about putting the wings on the 9.6 and moving just as much snow and yes the v plow I have scrapes better due to the edge. I replaced the wings rubber edges with jerrys edges. Will get 3 seasons out of them but they did cost 550 for the set but over 3 years I will take it. Jerry's is a good guy to work with.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  11. MSsnowplowing

Decided to go with the V plow

I took a ride to the dealer today and looked them over and compared both the wideout and the V.

With the contracts I plow, I'm better off going with the 9 1/2 V plow.

Was going to get the 8 1/2 but was told my truck can handle the 9 1/2 so I'm going for that one.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the answers, it helped me decide.

Have a great winter and make some money out there.

12. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Shoulda went with the 8'5" & Western Wings. The wings work wonders on a V plow.

13. MSsnowplowing

I might now, was looking at weight issues

I like the idea of a 9 ft, but then I started thinking about the weight and getting into smaller places.

With a sander and the 9 ft I'm going to be close to the 10600 weight limit with my truck.

While it can handle it, I think in the long run it well be less expensive to go with 8 v-plow.

Less wear and tear on the ball joints, etc..
    Long run thinking keeps you in business and cuts down on maintence.
    I laugh at the guys who just throw a plow on their truck and think they are going to make money without spending money.
    They last a little bit and then their truck breaks down.
    See it time and time again over the last 6 years of doing this.
    Or they overload themselves with too many contracts and then end up losing them because they can't handle them in a timely manner.

So your right a 8 1/2 is the way to go for now for me.

Or I could buy a nice f-350 dually and bump up the weight limit to handle a 9 foot easy.

Maybe next year, don't want to go too fast.

Slow but sure builds the business.

Have a great season and thanks for the advice.