1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will a western 8' uni mount be ok on chevy 1500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by truckinjoe22490, Oct 25, 2008.

1. truckinjoe22490

truckinjoe22490 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 8' western uni mount plow. i was curious before i went to hook it up if my truck will be able to handle the weight of the plow. i dont want to beat the crap out of my truck, i dont even want to use that truck to plow but i need to make some extra money this winter. give me your thoughts!
  2. VBR

VBR Member

its a little big for a 1/2 ton, and it will be hard on your truck. Your better off buying an older 3/4 ton, it will probably be cheaper to buy a cheap 3/4 then fix your 1/2, especially if it is your daily driver.
  3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree to an extent..... 8' plow is no bigger than some of these trucks running a 7'6" with wings.... I dont run them on mine, but I know that Mark13 runs them on his.... If you dont beat the crap out of it, it should handle the weight.... just dont try to use it for big lots....
  4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

to big your suspension and transmission will take a beating
  5. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Yes an 8 is too big. 7.5 is all your supposed to put on any half. Western only recommends a midweight, but I get by with a pro on a gmc 1500.
  6. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

don't let anybody give you that horsecrap about it not working. i run an eight and half on my 1/2 ton. 356,000 miles, five years plowwing service on it and still going strong!