1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a suspension lift affect how big of plow I can fit?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QMVA, Jul 28, 2004.

1. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I know its a little ways off but I like to think ahead. In a few months I'm going to be turning 16 and its looking like my dad might be giving me his 1995 GMC Yukon. Well the first thing I want to do of course is put a plow on it. Now my question really isn't on what plow to get but that could be helpful its more of I would really like get a 2" suspension lift on the truck and was wondering if it would be able to hold and would it be possible to rig up some timbrins to help with the weight. Also would it be possible to put a 2500's front suspension on it.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Lift would not affect how big a plow you could put on a truck, modifications will have to be made on the truckside mount to get the right angle of attack. I don't see a problem with the timbrens but see how it carries the plow after the lift. I don't know much about suspensions but i think a 2500's suspension would be too big for a yukon, the only benefit would be that it would carry the plow better, someone that knows can tell you that though.

3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

OK. Here's what I did. Not the same truck, but same basic concept. I have a 87 Suburban 1/2 ton. Sounds cheesy, but just wait. I put a 3/4 front and rear leafs on it, with an add-a-leaf on the front. I must have at least a 1-ton front leaf setup. I got a 4" lift out of it. It lifts the plow, and only goes down about 1/2 inch! (7.5 meyer) After the first storm, when my blade was angled, it wasn't cleaning very good on the one side. I had to lower the bracket enough to compensate for the 4" lift on the truck. It does much better now. Not perfect, but it will tear up some snow! I probably wouldn't go much higher than 4", unless you are planning on making some serious mods to the blade or frame. But remember, when your blade breaks, and you need to borrow another one, it probably won't work right.

4. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Also the suspension for this truck is
    Suspension, f: Independent with unequal length control arms, tors
    Suspension, r: Semi-floating solid axle, leaf springs
    Another idea i have is putting a 2500 lift kit on it. Take in mind it could be a 2500 pickup or suburban suspension.

On the plow size part I am trying to be able to fit a small v plow because the residential drives around my house have odd shape drives that could be difficult to plow with a straight blade. Take in mind I'm not some 11 year veteran so the easier the better. The reason behind the suspension lift is I am now addicted to the ride high-th of the ford F-250 and am trying to get the Yukon to ruffly the same hight.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. snoking

snoking Senior Member

your yukon has torsion bars like every other chevy truck does.....the bars are the same for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton....id just crank the torsion bars down all the way and have a front end allingment done.

that will let you carry any 8 foor plow you want...8.6 vee easy

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I don't know why but i couldn't read your message Snoking until i went to reply so I'm going to post it again.

Snoking "your yukon has torsion bars like every other chevy truck does.....the bars are the same for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton....id just crank the torsion bars down all the way and have a front end allingment done.

that will let you carry any 8 foor plow you want...8.6 vee easy"

If you can see snokings message then sorry for the reprint.

Also thanks for the advise.

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Snoking is mostly right. Actually GM made 2 different 3/4 tons (2500 series) in the 1988-1998/early 1999 series. The regular 3/4 ton used the same frame, front axle and major suspension components as the half ton. The heavy 3/4 (option C6P) is easily identified by having the fender flares (like a Z71) and shares the frame, front axle, and suspension parts with the 3500. The "light" 3/4 should have stiffer t-bars and will have different wheel bearings for 8 stud wheels. There is no real advantage to going to the light 3/4 components and the heavy 3/4 components won't bolt up to your half-ton frame. If you really want the lift I would probably stick with no more than 2-4" and maybe stiffer bars.

As far as Timbrens go they basically take the place of the stock bump stops. With a lift you will have to extend them down somehow.

8. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

NO yukon's with V-Plows.....:nono: If you angle a 7.5' straight all the way to the left or right it should fit anywhere a V-Plow would fit.... Unless of course you have a Yukon 2500....which I have seen a few with boss V-plows on them... hold them fine...but I would not install a V-Plow on 1/2 ton truck (1500) causes to many problems.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Could you please explain yourself better mylawn03. First off where did you see a 2500 yukon to my knowledge they only made 1500s. Also western says that the largest plow i could put on a yukon it the 8' polly pro. 727lb. The boss 7'6" power V is 790lb. Now maybe that extra 60lb will just destroy the truck but im find that hard to believe. The reason I want to get a v is because i plan on plowing residentials. Due to the fact I'm still in school and residentials are more leniant on time. Now true I could plow with a straight blade plow but the shapes of my neighborhoods driveways can be a little tricky and time consuming for a straight. Also take into fact that im going to be taking the plow off as soon as possible. To take stress off the truck. Yes I know that the plow will do damege to the truck but I would only be using it for 2 years then be buying a olderpickup to transfer the plow to. Also Omaha usually only gets snowfalls of about 11" tops. Now if a GM mechanic or someone can tell me that a putting a v plow on a yukon will destroy the truck in 2 years or go into more details then yes i will not put a v on it. Not trying to be defient or anything just trying the fastest most efficient way to make money on a limited budget while also haveing a cool play toy to drive..

10. cja1987

QMVA
    First off iam sure you are aware that sometimes the plow manufacturers tend to recommend on the lighter side weight wise when recommending what plow to go on a truck. I would say make the necessary upgrades to the front end and go with what you want. No way 60 LBS is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak. Me and you have discussed this before: my truck is and F-150 and i have a 750 LB plow and no problems to report. Don't beat the crap out of the truck, take care of it and there is nothing that you can't plow. Tons of people told me not to plow with my truck and told me it would be nothing but problems... well i took a gamble (in thier opinion) and i was right the truck could handel the plow i wanted. So do what you want, you seem to know what that is and if it causes problems then at least you tried. Crank up the torsion bars and youll be fine.

11. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

New production body style Yukon XL's (formerly known as GMC Suburban) are available in 2500 series as well as 1500. Regular short wheelbase Yukon/Jimmy/Blazer have only ever been available to the general public (non military) as half tons.

12. cja1987

Also it specifically says on the Boss website that their 7'6" V is for 1/2 ton trucks.