1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a Snowblower Start with the Auger Engaged?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaynen, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I am considering purchasing a troy bilt 45 inch wide snow blower and i have an odd question. Can the blower start up with the auger engaged? I am wondering if the rope will be hard to pull if the auger is already engaged or if it will have to much load and the choked engine may stall. Anyone try this on a snowblower?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It could if you lock the anger handle in place,
    But why in the world would you want to do this

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its for a project. Have you tried to do this? I dont want to snap the rope and be hard on the starter.

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

No never tried it, Pretty sure I would not want to. May I ask you. What kind of project do you have that would require the auger engaged while starting?

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Im not gonna say what the project is. But im trying to keep things simple. I want a blower I can engage from a distance. Fewer wire the better. I dont want to manually engauge it or have an electric pto. Would be nice to just run wires for electric start and choke and on off switch.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why not find a model with an electric starter?

still if there is to much load on the auger it may not work.

7. dieselss

Mmmmmmm I'll just address the elephant in the room.

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THE SAFETY EFFECT?

Dude seriously, you want to semi permanently keep the anger engaged?
    You eat paint chips lately?
    Just don't do it.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

SS, I was about to say the same thing.

It's kind of like putting a remote start and a stick and hoping you left it in netual.

9. dieselss

Hey now,,,,,ummm I have remote start.
    But the parking brake will stall it out

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The starter would be under enough stress turning the cold motor over. The starter is not designed to turn the auger over, Good way to be replacing shear pins all so this would be not safe to me.

I can understand trying to keep it simple, Do it right you will be glad you did. Would you want the starter on a pickup running your truck to the gas station if you were out of gas. Starters are not that cheap.

If the pull cord did hold up you would have to be strong as a mule to pull it over. Maybe I don't understand what your trying to do. Good Luck

11. dieselss

I believe he's trying to do a remote control s.b. Like a helicopter

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

13. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I thought about the safety aspect. Disengaging the auger and killing the engine are only out by a few seconds. Seconds I realize that could make a difference. Seems like the consensus is that the load will be to much.

But has anyone here actually tried it?

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Bro, I stated in my upper post no, There is no logical reason to. Not to mention common sense. Please just forget about it. Your going to damage something or possibly hurt somebody.

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This crowd :laughing::laughing:is worried about safety.

16. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Well obviously there is a logical reason. I save money on gas by only running the blower when I need it. Dont have to refuel it as often. I would be much quiter. Less cables and wires that could cause problems.

17. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Safety is definitely a factor. But lets face it most equipment in this industry its not perfectly safe.

18. 1olddogtwo

Difference is, is that you're a professional

19. 1olddogtwo

Difference is, is that you're a professional

20. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Probably wouldn't be good for the crank shalf, but it would probably start. What happens if there is a loose rock or something in the auger?

I see what you're trying to do, but it's stupid and dangerous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.