1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will a lift help, hurt or make no diff with plowing?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ironhart, Jan 24, 2007.

1. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

just got a stock 95 YJ 4 cl. Using it as a weekend play toy and want to do some plowing. My driveway and a few friends.
    I am trying to decide if I should alter it a little. Step up the tires a little 31" and add a 3" lift What effect will that have on plowing? Any?
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Ironhart:jester:

2. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

If you're talking a suspension lift, you may have to alter the plow mounts to keep the blade down where it needs to be and at the correct angle of attack.

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Those wider 31s are not going to grip snow as well as skinnier snows.....

4. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

You could easily enough run 31s in the summer and snow tires in the winter to get the grip you need. A lot of people run smaller tires in the winter just cause the wider profile tires suck on snow and ice.

5. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

6. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

OK, so my link won't work unless you register. But hey, you have a jeep...why not?

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I had 4 inch suspension lifts on my old Chevys with Fishers, I found the slightly increased angle to be a plus. I think the added visibility of sitting up higher makes it worthwhile. I wouldn't be afraid to run 31/10.50s, but they won't be as good as a skinnier tire, and a 12.50 is too wide. Run some cheap 235/75 snows for plowing if you can afford two sets.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

thanks

that makes sense
    You can really tell a difference hu? Wow
    Thanks!

9. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

thank you

thanks for the info
    Ill plan for a small lift and two sets of tires.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the lift wont make much deferents the tires will make a big difference. Its all about where the rubber meets the road. Get Blizzak or equivalent tires. Smaller tires are better for plowing (Like lower gears).

11. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

a tire question

You recommend Blizzak or equivalent. ill look into them. what about studs are they helpful?

thanks for the advice

Ironhart:jester:

12. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed with lifted trucks for 7 yrs. so far. Not huge one's just 4" on a 00gmc,02 3/4 ton ram , and a 03 f-350. I now have an 07 f-350 and it will be lifted in the spring. I haven't had any problem with the suspension other than the dodge( my brothers stock dodge had the same problems). I actually like the visability of a lifted vehicle. The best part is plenty of air into the radiator!!! I wouldn't think twice about running a lift on your jeep. I do always run stock tires in the winter though. Wide ones are no good in the snow and I like to keep my summer wheels nice!!!

13. payton

payton Senior Member

look into a set of boomerang shackles for a small lift. and plenty of rooms for 31's.

ive got a set i cut my self if your intersted in them. there a copy of more's boomerang shackles.

ill have to find pics if you want them. i cut 2 sets at once. one set went on my heep once upon a time. and the other set well there in the shop at the rents house.

payton

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Studs will markup driveways when you spin the tires. with a jeep you will spin the tires. I run with 500# of ballast in the back and I still spin once in a while.

15. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

Studs

Good point about spinning studs on pavement however here in the foot hills of Colorado only one of my friends has a paved driveway. Most everything is dirt & gravel.
    I am thinking yes on studs?

Thanks for your opinion.

Ironhart

16. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I had a 95 F150 with 6 in lift and a 7.5 Meyer and I had to fab the mount because I tore the gravel drive up and it would dig instead of push. Make sure that you don't have to much angle on it and run shoes. If not they will be doing alot of clean up in the spring,

17. ironhart

ironhart Junior Member

I did a quick search on boomerang shackles

18. payton

payton Senior Member

19. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

If you plowing on gravel, that's going to be fun. Once the drive have frozen it's not to hard but if the gravel is still loose, your going to dig in and push out all the gravel.

Typical skis on plows don't work or you'll have them set so high that you'll have to be changing them a lot when you do a concrete or asphalt drive.

It would be great to make some custom skis that's a lot wider or longer wo plow on gravel. I've also seen an extra strip of metal welded onto the screaped blade to keep the plow on top of the gravel.

I myself have a 2-1/2" lift and 33" tires. The stock mounting made the plow prone to flipping to much and I had to change my mounting system so the angle of the plow was better.