1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a Diamond Plow Fit?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Jan 29, 2001.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I have a 7.5 Meyer ST and I'd like to replace it with a Diamond 8. I have an E60 pump and a Meyer EZ mount. Can I just hook the Diamond 8 footer up?

Thank you
    Ron

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Nope,

Diamond connects to the frame which is very Different. You will also need to get a Diamond frame kit, which is much stronger than the Meyer kit. Diamond also uses bigger pins, and has a different connecting design. However you do have the right pump, you want an E 60.

What type of truck is it?

Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

woaaaaaah RB
    Didnt you sing the praises of that plow a few days ago??
    Dino

4. RB

RB Senior Member

Dino - lol. Yes I still like Meyer plows. I like my old used plow (33" tall) I bought. I was talking about replacing a ST 90" blade.

The other day was the first time I saw a Diamond blade and it looked very stong. I just picked up two small private roads and I'm starting to think about a trip edge.

I would be installing this blade on a 2000 Chev. 2500.

Thanx
    Ron

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

RB, I hate to say this but I would just get a bigger meyers. The diamond plow is too heavy for your gm front end. I had to put $1,500. into my 97 one-ton at 42,000 mi with a 9ft western on it. The front end was junk. My friend has 3 gms with fishers on them and his front ends were junk at 36,000 mi's. My 9ft western was a 100 lbs less than a 8ft fisher and diamond plows are more weight than fisher plows. So I would stay with a lighter plow, your front end will appreciate it!!

6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

GREASE! Grease is cheaper than parts. My last truck saw almost 200,000 km on the original front end before I traded it - and it was the 1/2ton Chev diesel, not the 3/4 ton I have now. The other truck was sold off the lot in mechanically-fit condition without ball joints being R+R'd. Preventative maintenance works - on all brands.

7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My 97 had all the lube in the us and canada.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've had a BOSS V on my 90 K3500 since 1994 and no problems so far with regard to the front end. I don't think that you can get much heavier than a BOSS V-Plow.

RB,

Either go with a C-8 Meyer (best choice) or buy a diamond blade and A-Frame and have a good fabricator modify the mounting ears on the "new" Diamond A-Frame to accept the Meyer truck frame. This way you could just use the old Meyer as a backup (not that youd need to). The Meyer truck frame mounts can't be that much weaker, although I've never seen a Diamond up close.

[Edited by dixie1 on 01-30-2001 at 08:11 PM]

9. RB

RB Senior Member

Thanx guys, I think I'm going to get another spreader and keep the st until next year.

Thanx for all the advise!

Ron

10. GeoffD

After seeing my First Meyer Plow today. I will say one thing. Don't use the Meyer Frame kit to run a Diamond. It will not take it. It is much weaker, and uses a much different design to mount the plow.

Geoff

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff,

The new MEYER mounts may be different, however, I'd put any plow (withen reason) behind my '75 Burban w/Meyer. How would another plow put more stress on a frame? You cant get more violent than a C-8 4 spring Meyer tripping and snapping back! Weight wise, they arent that different. Mines been on there since 1976 and haven't had a problem with the mounting frame yet...!

12. GeoffD

Ok here is the difference:

Diamond rates their plow at 20 MPH. It uses a tougher A-Frame.

Diamond also uses 1" quick pins, Like Fisher. Not the little wimpy pins that Meyer uses. Diamond has 3 mounting points, However unlike the Meyer blade there are 4 Points of contact with the A Frame to the Frame kit. The Diamond Frame kit also has 4 Points of contact with the frame. However the Meyer kit that I have sean only has 2 points of contact.

This link will answer any questions: http://www.diamondplow.com

You have to understand the Diamond is a tougher plow, the trip edge also puts more stress on the truck frame. You are matching a tougher plow with a Different design to a lighter frame kit, something will give, and not the plow. I am sure you could put a Meyer blade to a Diamond frame kit and be fine. I own 9 Diamond blades, I know the construction very well. After you look at a Diamond close up, or buy one, you will agree that you need the Diamond Frame kit.

Oh yea you will need the E 60H pump to run a Diamond blade, because Diamond uses a different lift arm than Meyer. The regular E 60 won't lift high enough.

You want to look at the Pull A Way system, Not the MDII. The MDII shares the same lift frame as the Meyer plow. However again the Frame kits are different. That is right from the Diamond dealer.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 01-30-2001 at 09:54 PM]