1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a Deere 250 skid push a 10' box plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maelawncare, Jul 25, 2011.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have been looking for a decent plow/box for my skid for this winter. All i have found so far at a decent price is a 10' box plow. Anyone know if a John Deere 250 can push one that big? I was looking for a 8', but this is all there is within a 200 mile radius.

I'd like to get the skid rigged up before the end of August so I don't have worry about it come crunch time. But I am a bit leery of a 10'er.
  2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking for a straight answer it would be YES.
    We had a 10 foot box on one of our Cat loaders 272c and it spun the tires when it got full.... especially on those big snow falls but i guess if you. So we had to get new tires in the spring....Since we leased the machine it was "free." But i suggest start pushing early at like 2-3 inches and you will be okay with a 10ft'er
    8's are really common for skids.
    if its a "decent" enough price try it out for a season then if you dont LOVE it sell it.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. maelawncare

Is $1200 a good price? I think its decent. I should be able to talk him down some too. I havent attempted that yet. It has a rubber edge, so im new to that as well. We get a lot of sleet/ice around here. But i guess i can always use the bucket for those along with a truck. The lot im parking it at is a large apartment complex. Not too many long lines and tons of cars. Cars park on both sides of the lot and its a hill so controller snow is a pain.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not an expert, but that looks like a loader push box. Your 250 will probably struggle just to lift that box.
  5. maelawncare

No its for a skid. Notice the universal attachment plate. The guy used it on his Cat skid for one season.
  6. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Find out the weight of that box then make your decision. If you cant lift it empty you will struggle lifting it full! In other words if the skid comes off its back wheels/ tracks when you lift if empty its not gonna be good. But as i said before down the price on it. try it out in your yard and then if you dont like it sell it.

People buy winter equip all summer long! Just sold 3 Salt spreaders to all different people! Less than 2 weeks on the internet.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

80% of the time you will be fine the other 20% it will struggle but it will work, in heavy snows it will spin out.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 250 JD and I would not recommend a pusher that big. You won't be able to move heavy snow unless you take small passes which would defeat the purpose of having a 10' pusher. Stick with an 8 footer and you'll be fine.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Check Protec for a new price@ 1200 your not stealing it in the off season. Is that home built or factory built often the home built ones I looked at have weld issues.
  10. maelawncare

Thats kind of what I was thinking. But since I am still new to plowing with a skid i figured i better ask someone who knows.

I guess I will have to give them a call.

Thanks for the info guys.
  11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 10' Avalanche on my JD 325, the 250 wont do so well.
  12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Why not. On heavy snows use only as much of the box needed to compare to an 8fter...on light snows you use the full capabilities of a 10fter.

X's 2.

Put dedicated snow tires on a 250...and I bet it pushes just as good (if not better) than a 325 w/o.

I suggest getting dedicated snow tires(regardless of pusher size), and you will be just fine with a 10fter. Keep searching for a pusher also, you can do better than the one pictured.
  13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Why not? Because more often than not he won't be able to use the whole 10'. Especially seeing that he's from Missouri where he gets wet & heavy snow, not the light stuff that we often times get.

I used a 9' pusher one time and it was put up for sale after that. My machine just couldn't make a full pass with it. It made for a very frustrating night.
  14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I live in central IL....You (Camden) probably get, more times than not, lighter snows than the OP and I. We have been running 10ft pushers on S185 Bobcats (w/dedicated snow tires) for yrs with great results....and JD 250's are similar sized machines to S185's, as far as I know.

I'm only speaking from personal experience...but then again there are other factors involving a skid steers performance on how well it pushes snow.....pusher design, operator skill, cutting edge material, etc, etc.

FWIW, I gained "roughly" 2hrs of run time on a tank of fuel on 1 particular machine last season just by changing the cutting edge material....that being said, that machine also handles the pusher easier now.

General rule of thumb seems to be 8ft pushers for skid steers...I wont argue that. But if somone is looking to get the most out of their machine, then there is more to it than just throwing any old pusher in front of it and jamming on the throttle.
  15. maelawncare

I wont be able to get dedicated snow tires on it. I still have to get a cab and heater plus the plow. So gonna hold hold off on the tires this season. It does have new tires so i hope helps.

And we almost never get light snows. I've been plowing for 6 years and in those years have only seen 2 snows that have been light fluffy snow. The rest has been heavy/sleet. I actually push more inches of sleet in the winter then inches of snow. One reason im upset about not getting snow tires for it. ;( but money is money

And i called protech. A new 8' rubber is $2200. So almost double the price. Heck even the buyers ones are still at $2400. Glad protech went down, but money is still to tight.

One more question, anyone know how good the rubber edge pushers do against sleet/ice? I assume crappy, but idk.
  16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Sounds like you should just find the cheapest 8ft pusher you can find, and make due.

Blended Ice melters & salt are typically what one uses for ice control....maybe the occasional flame thrower or torpedo heater. Good luck.
  17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:......Now your Thinking.....

This thing could handle a 10 Foot pusher......Then with the Jet Melting the Snow in the Back...This is a Very Multi-Purpose Machine......
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Now were getting somewhere! Multitasking - Snow pusher, Ice Evaporator, Saturday Night Hot Rod Thumbs Up :laughing: