1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a 99 RT2 Dodge Mount fit an 03+ Dodge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jamartz, Dec 25, 2008.

1. jamartz

jamartz Member

I currently have a 99 Dodge 2500, with an 8.2 Boss V-plow RT2 mount. Thinking about upgrading to an 03 Dodge 2500, and was wondering if anyone knows weather the mount for the 99 will work on the newer style trucks? Also the 99 has the 360 V8 and the 03 will for sure be a cummins Diesel if that makes a diff at all.

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure they are different. If you would like to sell the wiring/mount off of the '99 I would be interested. I've got an '01 360.

3. jamartz

jamartz Member

I will keep you in mind if the deal goes. Not sure what I am going to do yet. My 99 only has 69K miles on it but I pull a trailer quite often for my construction business and it is a tad underpowered for it. I have been using my Excursion V10 for work more and more because it pulls much better. Just thinking about posibly down sizeing a vehicle by goin with the Cummins Dodge.

4. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

If you are getting a newer truck, I would let that old rt2 plow go with it, those mounts are getting hard to find (if you want that mount to work on a 03 dodge you are going to have to do some fabbing). I just looked and the pushbeam off the 99 is 36 3/8 and the one for 03-09 is 40 3/8, so I guess you could find a used rt3 mount and make some spacers for rt2 pushbeam.... jmo

5. jamartz

jamartz Member

Thanks for the info on the pushbeams. The more I think about it I would probably be beter off to sell the truck with the plow instead of trading it without the plow. The plow was put on the truck when the truck was bought new in 99 I believe by the previous owner. Plus if i go to 03 Ram 3500 I could put 9.2 on it instead.

Thanks again for the info!

6. bossplowguy

What would you be asking for the truck if you sell it complete with plow?

7. jamartz

jamartz Member

I was thinking about asking $7,000 for it. Its a 99 Ram 2500, Ext cab - short box, with 69,000 miles, Plow package with dual batts, HD Alt. 8.2 V-plow with the older box/rocker switch controller. If your interested I will let you know first if I decide to sell it. Got to find a replacement truck first, otherwise I will be without a plow! Let me know, and I will fo sure let you know if I do decide to sell it.

8. bossplowguy

ok will do...on another not, are those rt2 always a pita to hook up? I just bought one and was putting it on my 85 chevy 1 ton and it took a man and a small boy to wrestle that thing on. Any tricks to it? It sure is not as easy as my rt3s

9. jamartz

jamartz Member

They can be a pita! No real secrets. I plow up pile of snow in my back yard off the driveway and that where I hook and un-hook the plow. I use the pile to push against when hooking it up.

I have never used an RT3 so I don't know what I am missing!

10. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

is that truck a diesel you might sell?

11. bossplowguy

12. jamartz

jamartz Member

as bossplowguy quoted aleady, it is a gas engine. Not bad around town, but on the hiway with the plow on the front or my work trailer behind it is a tad too underpowered for me.

13. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

I did exactly that with my '08 (used old pushbeam with spacers and fabbed everything else). It worked fine but If I had to do it again I'd just trade it for an RT3 and save myself all the trauma.

Mine is always a chore. Grease the prongs and get a floorjack under the "T" brace on the plow frame. Get the truck close enough to cantilever the undercarriage mounting bar against the plowframe prongs while you jack it up until it all lines up (just before it starts lifting the front end of the truck). Then goose the throttle till it goes "thud" and immediately set the parking brake.

That's the best I've come up with.

14. bossplowguy

thanks....I don't think i would ever buy another one (couldn't pass this one up for $300 bucks) I think I would rather have the rt1 instead of the rt2 if I had to choose between them