1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will a 2 Stage be too *front heavy* for a incline ?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chefwong, Oct 26, 2010.

1. chefwong

chefwong Junior Member

If I had to guess, it's a 60-80 foot incline, moderate pitch.

With the 2 stage hovering at 250lbs +, will it be too heavy when working an incline ?Whether I'm plowing down the driveway or coming back up....
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

As long as it's propelling itself you'll be fine. Coming down will be much easier, but it will climb it as long as it gets traction.
  3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

If it's self-propelled, you'll be able to control it just fine. If you're worried about keeping the front end down, most of the manufacturers sell weight kits for the front end down, might be worth it if you have problems & that's the only place you use it anyway.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Well would you rather guide a self propelled 250lb 2 stage snowblower up a long incline, or push a non-propelled 85lb single stage up that hill and into the snow?

Personally I'd go for the self propelled 2 stage.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

wrong, there is no pushing involved with a single stage. the paddles propell the unit forward, the more you lift up on the handle the faster the unit goes.

the only thing i would be concerned about is you losing traction and sliding into the frame of the 2 stage coming down the hill. maybe go with a tracked model like Honda makes.
  6. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Ariens makes a tracked also I have the wheeled pro 28...it will go up hills pretty good. If you are relly worried get a tracked model.
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Any single stage I have used has needed muscle power to move forward. The paddles help, but rarely did they do enough to actually move the thing under its own power.

To be fair, I haven't used that many single stage throwers, but the couple of Toros I used were like this...neither was new so it could have been worn paddles or in need of adjustment.