1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will 2wd w/chains pull loaded trailer.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve b, Nov 13, 2002.

1. steve b

steve b Member

I want to do residential snow removal with my 1000lb Walker mower. I have a 2wd 1ton van and a 2wd 1ton dually. Will I be able to haul the 7x12 trailer if I use chains and weight in the back. I'd like to use the van to store salt and spreader out of the elements.

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

You should not have any problem pulling that trailer with out chains. The trailer with the walker on it should be enough weight. When I use to drive a tow truck, the truck would go through snow towing a car better than not towing. The big problem you will find is stoping.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

A tow truck with a car in tow is a whole lot different than towing a trailer. With a trailer, all you've got is tongue weight on the rear of the towing vehicle, with the tow truck, you've got almost half of the towed vehicles weight. Tongue weight will be determined on how the trailer is loaded.

If you have substantial weight over the rear axle of the van, it should pull OK, depending on conditions. I'd keep a set of chains on hand for the deep snow. Towing a trailer in ice and snow conditions can get tricky in a hurry, pay close attention to what the trailer is doing at all times and plan your stops carefully.

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Pelican, what I used to drive was a tow truck with the sling hock up. A lot differnt than the wheel lift that brings the car closer to the truck. Even towing a VW rabit a very light car you could go through a foot of snow with out getting stuck.
    I have all so have had no trouble pulling two snowmobile in 2wd up north when there is no snow down here to plow.
    Steveb I fogot to mention you should get a good pair of snow tires.