1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will 2001 1500 Sport handle the weight?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by schwerhaiv, Jan 23, 2014.

1. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

Unfortunately I am looking for a plow in the middle of a snow storm so the prices are varied to say the least. I have, however, run into a very reasonably priced 8 foot Meyers Poly. While I just use this for my driveway, and thereby, would be sitting on the ground alot, I just am not sure about the weight. I just put on new 10 ply tires; but, those poly plows look like over 800 lbs. Thoughts for this very part-time plow.

Truck: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with 5.9.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck will handle it. The Meyer Lot Pro 8' plow in poly weighs 820 lbs. That's a LOT of weight for a half-ton truck, but if you're only doing your own driveway, and don't beat the hell out of your truck, it should be fine. And by the way, it's a Meyer, not a Meyer(s).
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

handling the weight

Thanks. I forgot to say that my truck is the off-road package, as well. This amounts to a little 2 inch lift via large springs in front and 4.10 gears. I would image this would help, too.
  4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I have a 99 Ram with a RD 7'6 Fisher, I had to put 2500 springs on the truck to handle the plow, but it now works great, but the 8 foot MAY be to much from a Dodge 1500
  5. nyy845

nyy845 Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 99 1500 (5.2L) and plowed for 3 years with a fisher 8ft plow and traded for a 7.5ft fisher and had that for 3 more years. The only thing I did was install timbrens up front to limit the squatting. I think you'll be fine.

I don't plow anymore so I sold the plow. The truck is rusting, but is still ticking. I am looking to upgrade the truck, but it's not worth much anymore so I'll run it till it dies!