1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wig Wag 4 ways?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pwrstroke6john, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I have a feeling that I maybe barking up the wrong tree about this, but the International propane truck that came to the shop the other day had the 4 ways going and the they were going side to side. I relize that these are no where near as effective as strobes, but I would just be doing this to the work trucks, which dont plow. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

In most states the use of Wig-Wags in place of any lighting except for emergency vehicles or trains is illegal. But then again your in Michigan where almost anything goes! I would stay away from putting them on any of my vehicles.

3. pwrstroke6john

Its true that almost anything goes in michigan, unless you have a lifted truck and then there all over you, but for the alternating 4 ways I really dont know where I was going except that I liked the way it looked.

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I think the deal is that when you have messed with a factory system on a vehicle you can't do the lighting deal unless your dealing with an upgrade that you had done that doesn't interfere with the normal operation.

Along time ago when certain cars had 4 headlights, my brother had his high beam set up with a flasher and the bulbs changed to red. (Fire Fighter), He was pulled over for an equipment check and they wrote him a $50 ticket and he had to rip it all out and show them withing 2 days. This was Ohio State Patrol back in the late 70's.

Like I said before, Don't know what the laws are up there but Michigan Mimmics Ohio in alot of ways... Atleast we're not in Canada! ussmileyflag

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So what are you saying?tymusic I'm just wondering why you dragged Canada into your discussion.

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I've just seen some really weird stuff people do with auto's in mainly Winsor Canada... One car had strobes going for his headlights and it was something that he did on purpose, turned on the headlight switch and there they go! That's just one of the things!

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

It should be able to be done with a separate switch for the flasher unit. So that the 4-ways work normally when the factory switch is pressed and a different switch for the wig wag effect.

8. pwrstroke6john

this is what i was thinking,

9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i wanted to do the same thing you did but i never figured out how without messing up my blinkers