1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wierd things, im confused. help ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

95 dodge ram, boss v, 99 or 2000
    ok, so yesterday i get done eating dinner and hop in the truck. start it, turn on the lights go to lift the plow and the pump works. sound like its in hitch mode. looks like its trying to lift the blade, but its not. after a couple of try's im like great. for some reason i reach up and turn the lights off and hit the button on the controller. and to my amazement it works. turn the lights back on and its still works....ok,just a hick-up ...

this morning im driving with the lights on and all of a sudden the plow just drops. does the same thing, wont lift the blade, turn off the lights and good to go again. turn the lights back on and it drops. wtf. after i go through this a few times while driving still. lol. it goes back to normal...2 times. hmmmmm

anyways, get home around 2pm. go out to my truck around 6pm and my plow lights are on. strange. maybe i left the lights on, look at the truck, realize that only the plow headlights are on. not the marker lights or dash lights. now its getting strange. so i grab the handheld controller and turn it off. wow look at that, the lights go off. turn the controller on and the lights go back on..hmmmm. lift the blade and it goes up and stays up and the light go off...:dizzy: so now i figure out that the lights come on when i hit the down button and then they stay on while its in float mode.

2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Have you ever seen the movie "Christeen"

you probably have some shorted wires somewhere
  3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

oh, forgot to mention the controller was really warm when i found it with the lights on.....
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bad ground between the truck and plow or corrosion in or behind the multi pin plug, or a short in the harness (either truck or plow side).
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

yea. thanks b&b, thats what im thinking. just thought that this was really strange and wanted to share. ill check the harness. i took the plow off just after the post so i could drive the truck tonight and noticed a couple of corroded pins and what looked like maybe some melting of the pin connector from heat. could be from what ever is going on..just really strange.....:mechanic: scary smiley..lol
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'd be surprised the crazy things electrical items will do due to poor ground or corrosion. Many times it just causing something not to function, but when they get real bad they'll make this work that aren't even turned on. Bad cables connections, corrosion in the plow or trailer wiring, miss connected wire etc. Had one just last week that turning on the markers would illuminate the map lights but turn off the radio too. :D

Turned out they all shared a common feed circuit and corrosion in a plow side marker light creating a back feed caused it all.
  7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

wow. i dont even want to know how long it took to figure that out.

i had an f250 that every time you turned the key on it would blow the 80a main fuse. spent 2 1/2 days going through harnesses that tied into that circuit. finally figured out that the capacitor/ rf noise filter or whatever on the engine coil was shorting out on the mechanical temp gauge cable. that was a fun one.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Anyone remember the ground for my taillights that wouldn't let my truck shut off? :D

We had it figured like this, kinda made sense after we ran an auxillery ground strap between the dump body and frame....

Pivot hinge was getting rusty from lack of use on the dump box, apparantly that was the only ground between the box and frame. Tail lights mount to the box. Putting the brakes on would light the lamps (and dimly light up the parking lamps on the roof etc too) ... Seems the power was searching for a ground thru the parking lamp circuit, which went thru the aftermarket "headlights on key off" buzzer and back feeding power into the 'run' circuit...

So you could turn the key off with the brakes on and the engine would keep running until you released them! :D Found that one the hard way with the door open and hopping out, truck still in gear, tried to continue running for a second, spit and farted and backed up just enough to ram the open door into the forklift tire and bend the door all to sh!t...

That was when I learned the lesson--check all grounds first, because you never know what might affect what how.... :mechanic:
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

turned out to be a bunch of corrosion in the multi pin connector. enough that it broke the down pin off on the plow side. rigged it together for now. will fix it over the summer.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So I win the cookie? :D
  11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

its a big rabbit cookie, lots of chocolate. a couple of m&m's. Easter's coming. lol.
  12. jslash

jslash Junior Member

Wow, sounds like my problems could be could be corrosion related. I'll have to look closer. Glad you found your problem!