1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wierd Smell

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SnowFakers, Dec 29, 2013.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

To start off the truck is a 98 ford ranger, 4.0 with a 5 speed. During the last storm the truck started to produce a weird smell. Ive figured out it only happens when the truck is in 4wd. It smells like burning garbage actually. Not like burning oil or anything else ive ever smelt before. The power steering makes a lot of noise as it is (always has), but my thinking Is that with the front axle locked, and trying to turn around and jockey positions on driveways that im forcing the power steering to work overly hard. Fluid level is fine. It doesnt smell at all when driving from job to job with 4wd on, just once I start plowing and seem to be always turning sharp and around. Any body have any ideas what is making this smell? Thanks in advance
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Look under your seat.

Last I heard, Grandview was shoving bags full of burning crap under the front seats of his competitors in CT, as he's branched out of NY State. He figures if he makes it that uncomfortable to do the job, that you'll just give up..

Burning ? Check the exhaust system for residues of plastic bags, and such. My MIL ran over a home deepblow bag, and it smelled like burning trash for almost a year until it finally burned off.
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Was that GV who I saw out in my truck last week? :D

Ill have a look at the exhaust system once the rain lets up and we have some day light. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What you talkin bout Willis?

5. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Doesn't tranny fluid smell like that when it's burning up?? Could it be the transfer case??
  6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

could be the brakes?
  7. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

You are probably overheating the P/S pump or burning the belt up. Hot P/S fluid stinks like crap, especially the old black stuff full of stop leak.
  8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Not the brakes, and the only reason I'm saying it's not the t-case is because it's fine when I'm driving in 4wd around town, and only starts to smell once I start turning the wheel a lot to plow my driveways. That's what leads me to the p/s pump. There is a wrecked 98 explorer down the road at this junkyard. I'll be stopping by there today to see if I can get the pump for free (I plow the owners mothers house as he is too lazy). Hopefully this pump won't make as much noise as the current one. I appreciate all the help guys. Keep it coming if anyone else has suggestions
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Check the belt too
  10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Word to the wise also, ford specs out Mercon ATF for the P/S system. Don't use "power steering fluid". Flush the system out when you drop the other pump in. Take the return hose off the reservoir, cap the reservoir where the return hose hooks up. Run the return hose to a used oil container and now comes the fun part, get a friend, have them start the truck while you pour a couple of quarts of ATF in the reservoir while it pumps through and out the system into the used oil container. Have them shut the truck up when you're about half way through the last quart you want to flush it with. Now pull the cap and hook the return hose back up. Top off the reservoir, start the truck and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times to work and air out, and check and top off the reservoir as needed.
  11. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Will do fellas! Thanks for walking me through that, I figured it was going to be a bit of a pain but better to get it out of the way before the next storm here. Thanks a ton
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Could be your insulation\sound deadening material drying out.

I used to have this regularly with my old Dodges, always thought wires were burning or something. Finally figured out that after 3-4 hours it was warm enough to melt the ice and start drying it out.
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Also, if you find that heat is becoming an issue for the P/S system, get a transmission cooler with the same line size as your p/s system, and install it inline on the return side between the steering gear and the pump. Make sure to use transmission spec hose, as fuel line will break down quickly.
  14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Ahhh did anyone else catch that HD said 5 speed? When jockeying around in driveways you are probably slipping the hell out of the clutch. Especially since it goes away once you start driving down the road.