1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Width of blade needed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BWSwede, Jan 17, 2006.

1. BWSwede

BWSwede Junior Member

Hi all,
    Great forum with lots of great information.

I am looking to get a blade for my Unimog. I'll be plowing narrow roads and drives in a fairly tight area (no parking lots). I'd like to get the narrowest straight blade possible while still being wide enough to cover the width of my truck at full angle. My truck width is about 6'-6". Would someone who knows, please enlighten me to the width of blade I need to do what I describe.

Thanks in advance,
    Blane

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

well, this winter your blade width doesn't need to be any bigger than ZERO

Perhaps a giant squeegy instead :p

My dodge ram is about 6'6" according to this website I found and I have an 8'6" blade. Fully angled I don't drive over my windrows and clear my mirrors while angled aswell.

Howeverm your dealer will have an application chart that says how wide each blade is while angled. Don't forget that you want to be able to turn while angled too without running over windrows.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

There is a Unimog guy on here that knows everything. Try searching for him, I can't remeber is name off the top of my head.:mad:

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The smallest unimog blades I have ever seen were 9'. Most are 10'. Some are 11 or 12'

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, smallest I have ever seen are 9 footers as well, but that truck is a monster when it comes to pushing- I would guess that a 8 would be the smallest to allow you to clear the wheels at full angle, but I would suggest going 9 unless you really really need smaller.

It's not really the best choice truck for driveways.....a bit big and all.

A friend of mine used to clean up lots after storms with a 10 foot snow blower on his....

6. BWSwede

BWSwede Junior Member

Thanks for the input guys. It sound like the blade angles (thus width needed) vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'll take the suggestion to look at manufacturer's web sites. I know what Unimogs typically use for blades but they are super heavy duty and wider than what I need. I thought I'd look for more of a typical one made for pickups.

Crazymike sorry about the snow situation over there, its the pits. We are having an average year here out west. We've got about 40" on the ground with more coming. (We average 300" per year.)

Just to clarify, the Unimog is the same width as my 3/4 ton pickup but is shorter, turns sharper, and can push more snow. Therefore for me, the Unimog will work better than my pickup.

Thanks again for all the input. I really appreciate it.

BlaneS

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

As far as I know, no one makes a plow for a unimog that just bolts right up to the unimog. All the ones I have seen are custom built. I know meyer just starting making mounts for the Unimog. But you don't want a meyers, trust me. POS. You want a frink, viking, or Schmidt (one designed excustively for the unimog)

You would think that. But a pickup with a auto transmission is your friend. Most unimogs have 8, 12 or 24 gears. So say good by to your left foot. All the ones I have ever seen were plowing roads. They seem small but really are a lot bigger than they appear. Plus very little creature comfort. Trust me I would love to have a U series unimog. But I wouldn't want to plow with it all day long.

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Check out www.offroad-imports.com

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Every plow manufacturer makes different widths of plow, but they are all standard in 6 inch increments or 1 foot increments (7', 7'6", 8', 8'6", 9',10' ,etc.)

I know your Mog is the same relative size as your 3/4 pickup, but it's a 3 ton truck, it's taller and has more blind spots from what I remember of riding in one (been a couple of years). Good friend of mine has 2 (505's I think).

You WILL find bolt on blades, just not likely from any company in this country. Mogs are popular in their home coutries so there will be manufacturer's there making equipment. the best US option is CASE, they used to import them so they have many accessories for them. (at least had accesories)
    You won't find a pick up plow manufacturer with anything, nor a pickup style blade. It's a medium duty/heavy duty truck remember.

I would suggest looking for a quick detach front implement kit and a blade to mount to it, probabily going to be 9 feet, but you could either have the mount kit customized if you have to have an 8 footer (don't go smaller than 8 feet or you will not clear enough snow to clean the wheels- same as a full size pickup..) Or you could have the 9 footer cut down.

Personally if you must have an 8 footer, I suggest get a 9 foot heavy duty blade and cut it down. The mold board height will be an advantage since that truck can push so much snow. (unless you plan on waiting until there's 8 to 10 inches on the ground before making a first pass it doesn't really matter tho.

10. BWSwede

BWSwede Junior Member

Guys, thanks for the words of wisdom.

Mr. Green, point well taken about the left foot. Especially true since it is a 2 stage clutch, (top half for drive train, bottom half for PTO's). Fortunately I won't be doing it all day, just hoping to take care of my own place.

Mr. Justme, you're right on about the front implement plate. I've got one attached. I wasn't counting on finding a direct bolt on application, I know I'll have to do some fabbing if I want to use one of the standard brand plows. Good idea about cutting down a 9' heavy duty plow. You gave the answer I was looking for. It sounds like an 8' plow is the narrowest one I should install if I want to clear my wheel width.

Thanks everyone for your time and expertise.

BWSwede

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

For driveways and tight areas, I would go with a 7'6" or an 8 tops.

12. BWSwede

BWSwede Junior Member

gpin,

From what I read earlier I thought a 7'-6" blade wouldn't clear my tracks at full angle. Have you found different?

BWSwede

13. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Putting that small of a blade on that big of a truck would be like me putting a 10 foot blade on my wifes Trailblazer... It aint right lol

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

No, more like taping a snow shovel on the front of a jeep!

15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt go small. Plow blades are never wide enough. It may seem at first like it's too big, but I think you'd get used to it. My first plow was a 7'6" on a regular cab longbed 3/4 Chevy. It was never wide enough. Then I had an 8' on identical truck, much better but still too narrow. Now I have the 810 (have you considered one of those?) on my dually and it is a dream. I plow driveways and lots with it, it is not too big. On a standard width driveway I run it at 10' to keep the snowbanks from falling back on the pavement (or dirt). Come to think of it, about the only time I run it at 8' is on the road between jobs. If I had a Unimog I'd without a doubt put a Blizzard 8611 on it.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If I had a 'Mog, I'd have a 10 or 12 foot Frink on it..... probabily doing a large parking lot.... unless, of course I had access to those huge snowblowers instead. Nothing like a 10 foot single stage snowblower on the front of your truck to get people moving infront of you....

But if you're just doing your own driveway (or a couple of driveways) 8 foot is really what you want.

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I say go as big as you can afford. I recently got my F-250 and transfered my 7'6" Boss over from a 01 Ram 1500. The plow clears the truck on each side by only 2 inches....:dizzy: :dizzy: Thats why I bought the Boss wings because plowing with that thing sucked. The wings help out alot until I can get a 8'2" V-plow and then I can switch the wings to that!:D

18. BWSwede

BWSwede Junior Member

Detroitdan: I'd never heard of an 810. I went to their website and watched the video. Pretty slick, but my guess is that it is probably expensive too. I'm sure it pays for someone in business, but I'll be doing my own driveway and time isn't really a factor.

Justme: I will be only doing my driveways, so your advice on an 8 footer is very appropriate.

Thanks again guys.

BWSwede