1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Widest plow for drive thru's?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by midwestexcavati, Jan 1, 2010.

1. midwestexcavati

midwestexcavati Junior Member

New to this game, but looking at a western pro or pro-plus plow. What is the widest i can get away with doing like bank drive thru's or small parking lots. Hope to get some residential drives as well, but i don't want to limit myself to a very narrow plow. Just a one man operation so i would like to be as versatile as possible if the bigger lots come available. Here in Oklahoma we don't get nearly the snow as prolly a lot of the folks on here, so really can't afford to have more than one plow. Just tryin to cover as many bases as i can. BTW, what do u guys think the pro. or the pro-plus? Any opinions greatly appreciated? I was thinking about the 8 footer but would the 8' 6" be too big for close work like driveways or drive thru's? I do excavating and dump truck also, this is just to try and fill in those slow times...lol.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I run 9'2" Boss V's and do a credit union drive thru, but it's VERY tight. I can only do them in V or scoop, nothing in between.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah im sure! 7'6s fit pretty nice through most, banks etc. i hate taking the 8-9' straights or v plows through them, since then you have to be in v mode or angled to the extreme side away from the buildings... i hate that theyre so tight, usually its the mirrors im most worried about hitting on something.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

When I did Burger Kings, my 8' with guards that stuck out past the end of the plow 4-5" were very tight.
    Each location of type of business is always a little different. I went through my bank the other day with the plow at full angle and didn't make it in the drive through lane and had to go in.....

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Most banks can only handle a 7.5 wide plow. Im running a 8.5 straight and out of my 6 Burger kings there is one drive through I can't plow with this truck and the other ones are tight but do able.

Mike

6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't do my bank drive thru's with my 9' straight blade!

7. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

need 7.6 for my bank drive thus
    my banks have huge overhangs so very little going between atms etc

8. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

you should probably go with the 7'6" but if you could fit the 8' go for it

9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I would get the 7'6" and then get a set of wings for it, then you will have the versitility you are looking for, nothing sucks more than shovleing out drive throughs cuz your plow wont fit.

10. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

could not say it any better, this is the best way to go for a one truck operation.
    and happy new year to all. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

810 Blizzard, Fisher XLS, or Wideout. *8ft in narrow pos, 10 ft expanded. There is only one drive through I can't fit through here locally and that is because of my truck mirrors more then the plow.

12. tjslawnservice

tjslawnservice Junior Member

we have a flagstar bank, and I'm running a 7'6" with pw's and i dont fit in the first and the second one is tight. Used our old diesel the other night and the 7'6" poly was close but the box side was closer... No thanks I'll back blade it out and salt it good :p

13. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

honestly i would say go with a 7.6' plow. We plow a few banks and I can easily fit an 8.6'-9' through most of them, but a few lanes and one other bank will barely fit the 7.6' through it.

14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Why not get an 8ft or 8.6 v plow. or even a 7.6 v, that would give you the most versital plow. And you could always get a set of wing for it.

15. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

Go with the V- Plow, it can do anyting. Hoping to add one to the fleet in the near future.