1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 3500DIESEL, Feb 3, 2009.

1. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

For next season im going to get a new plow for my truck and not use the company truck get more pay.payup anyway I was either thinking of a Boss 9ft XT with wings or a Western wideout what is the Pros and Cons to both if i may ask??

Thanks for the help.

2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

3. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

Thanks guy. Im very interested in the Wideout, we clear mostly lots and a few driveways so the Wideout should be a good choise. From what i understand its a blizzard painted red in terms a few changes but not much.

4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

5. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

Thanks BMW, now im really leaning towards the Wideout.

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

well I just think it was a great comparison by an honest guy, with no real overall winner just advantages in different areas. Glad it helped

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

all i know is i plow with a guy who has a wideout on an 08 f250 and the thing is a beast.....scrapes great and is quick as hell....moves alot of snow tooo

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Will you be getting paid by the hour when you have your own plow?

9. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

Yea paid by the hour what do you think $30 an hour for my own truck and if it breaks the company is going to fix it for me thats the deal.

That is one reason i am interested in the Wideout for all the snow it can carry without spilling over.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

are they gonna buy the plow for you tooo? $30 has to be low in any part of the country with your own truck and plow... how bout dont break your plow and get $70 an hour

11. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

hmm even with fuel paid??

12. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

For 30 an hour I would just bungie a shovel to the front of my truck.

13. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

guess i will talk to the boss man maybe i missed something. what would be a good rate $50 with fuel and repairs paid by the company or no???

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Good question. The more snow you can move at one time, the more you should get paid hourly.

I agree I would not plow for $30 per hour even if they were fixing my stuff (which hasn't broke yet).

Are you saying they are paying for the fuel? Diesel costs me about $5 an hour.

LOL good way to make some money! payup

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck do you have and how old is it? Appears to be a Chevy or Dodge 1 ton. Do you expect them to be paying much in repairs? What repairs are included? I.E. smashed fender, smashed tailpipe, busted or worn out u-joints / ball joints, busted plow frame, fried plow motor... Who is replacing your cutting edges? You realize you have your own truck and plow you could be falling into the category of subcontractor and not employee. This is a whole bag of worms including insurance and taxes. Talk to a professional. Seriously.

16. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

I run gasser. diesel cost to much. HAHA

17. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Repairs now and later? Even if it dosn't break right away you will still be putting stress and miles on your truck. This will cost you later. I am sorry I can't help you with what you should charge, we are worlds apart. Up here everything is bigger including our pay checks. I think mabe you should shoot for paying your own fuel and repairs and charge more than fifty an hour, things will be less confusing that way.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you're in the Erie, PA area, so 30 is probably about all you're going to get.

Jon Geer (member) bought a Wideout last year, and for his new truck bought a XLS if that tells you anything.

19. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

my truck is a 08 3500 ext cab GMC gasser, and this is what the Boss told me anythat breaks on your truck dont worry about it we will pay for it, but if i can make $70+ if im a sub then maybe i will look into that instead of just using my truck would seem to work in my favor better not saying that nothing wont break but I dont beat the crap out of my stuff like some people so that should work in my advantage.

20. 3500DIESEL

3500DIESEL Member
    from PA

Im in northeast PA but now im really going to talk to the Boss about me being a sub contractor see what he says. Thanks for all the help guys.