1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by triplestrokes, Jan 24, 2016.

1. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

So i bought a new wideout last fall and all i can say is, should of bought 2, years ago.
    Coming from a 8' with wings.

2. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Its a beautiful thing eh... I had one yrs ago and got ripped off. then I thought a V with wings should be the best of both worlds well for me they weren't.. yes they will carry more but nothing widerows like a wing blade!! End of last season I bought a used wideout and I'm happy again.. I'm now trying to move out my last MVP3 for a 8611 that's on order...

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Call me crazy but wouldn't your v with wings windrow the same as a wide out?

Something I am missing here? :confused:

4. Hysert

Nope... I thought the same!! But the wing angle is less on the Vs wings so therefore spillage still ocurres off the leading edge... the V is far better with wings then without, but still can't take full blade with.. Guess u need to run both in order to see for your self.. at the end of the day time is money. And again JMO

5. Philbilly2

I get what you are saying. Not knocking or saying one is better, plows are like girlfriends. Some are good at one thing and others are better at another...

I have ran them both, I just never saw the windrow being THAT much better to praise it. I found the wideout had a ton of advantages, in terms of over curb cleanliness, and able to compact the plow to get in a small spot, then open it up in the wide open. But the windrow was just not the high point in my area. A v with wings always seemed to do the same on a windrow.

Could have been a travel speed thing... I don't know...

But, this is why we all have our opinions... Thumbs Up

6. Hysert

Girl friends!! Wish I still had them forsure... lol...

7. Philbilly2

Yeah, my wife won't let me have those anymore either...

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Same problem

Word to OP, watch the cutting edge base angle. It should always remain parallel with the wing tips.

9. triplestrokes

Just like McDonalds..... im loving it!

10. Hysert

Kinda.. atleast the plow don't give me the S@$TS

11. Philbilly2

Pat, what is your opinion windowing on the MVP3 with a set of wings... do you have a video perhaps... LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ever burried a skiddy?

12. 1olddogtwo

Wideouts have their place. Nobody is going to convince me that any WO/XLS will out push, out winrow, out stack the biggest, baddest plow ever made.

Yes,I'm talking the legendary Western MVP3 with wings. It's 11-4, 1100+lbs, throws enough snow to cover Rhode Island in one pass.

Experience talks, its simple as that.

To all you naysayers, I'm sorry but the facts are facts.

To answer the windrowing question, I plow at speed and large lots, one in particular is reather decent size (200x1000, guessing). My old WO's vs the MVP3....I'll take MVP3.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  13. triplestrokes

I dont doubt it a bit olddog. The WO just works best for me with my jobs. But that is the V i would buy for sure.

14. 1olddogtwo

It's a good plow, its just not a plow for me. DD and I agree that I need a trip edge. I'm a little (maybe more then little) bitter about my old ones.

15. Hysert

On the contrary my WO is a 11 footer so maybe others can't compare.. but I'm no rookie either 16yrs now! And I can't agree.. I have a lot slightly bigger then the one you mentioned and with are last 2 inch storm I cleaned it in 25mins.. 550 in 3rd gear going back and forth no reversing.. I couldn't do it under 35 with the V3 and wings... again iv also noticed the difference bc my wo is actually a 8611. Don't get me wrong I love are V3 too it truly is badass.. anyone want to buy it???

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Philbilly2

Your 550 have 4.88's too? What is third gear like 12 or 13 mph? :laughing:

I am kidding here, don't go on attack. I have a 550 with 4.88's and I swear that one of these times I am going to pop that dang 6.0 on the interstate. Plenty of RPM's at 75+ mph!!!

17. Hysert

Ya no kidding!! Not sure what 1st Is for? Even pulling 14k it's in second before the chassis tweaks.. I'm a lover not a fighter pal? Unless she's asking me to hang another fen picture!!!

I'm looking at tuning our 550 hopefully gonna work on some of those shift points

18. 1olddogtwo

Im I understanding you right, the lot I am describing is 4.5 acres and ur doing it in 35 mins

I have a loader and a skid there

19. Hysert

No it ant 4.5 acres that's forsure...

20. Philbilly2

There you go again Pat using math and sh*t...