1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout worth it on a dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DirtyJerzey, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Planning on making a new truck purchase im between a Ford 350dump or a 450 dump... This truck is only going to see big commercial lots this year so I want to go with something big obviously. Ive already got 2 western setups so it makes sense to stay with western. I just dont know if buying a wideout on a dually is worth it, youre not going to use it in the 8' mode i only see it being used in scoop, leading edge wing or in 10' length. Is it going to be worth to spend the extra money on top of say a 9' pro plus with wings? I love the idea of the wideout for standard pickups because it can utilize the 8' plow... I wouldnt mind looking into the blizzard 8611 as you can get away with a dually using a 8.5' plow but like i said i have all westerns and it would be nice to have plows interchangable.. throw me some thoughts

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I think it would work great. I think the wings will help out alot.

3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Whats the price difference between a wideout and a 9 footer with wings, is there that much difference? Why not go with a 9.2 or 9.5 V? Im not sure if u can add wings to the those two V plows so Im just throwing it out there.

:salute:

4. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

For 08 this truck will be subbing out in PA where it actually snows, the only reason why I wouldnt do a V is because NJ doesnt get anywhere near enough snow for it to be worth it. I havent priced out a 9' pro plus yet but I know the wings are around $550 and a Wideout installed here is $5,900... Im not doubting the wideout helping with wings, scoop and fully extended i just think it might be a waste having it be 8'... Only reason I would like the 8' option is for ease of driving the truck around from job to job

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I just bought a 9' pro plus with wings cash and carry for $4985. If that helps. I am a little west of Chicago. I was Quoted the wide out for $5395 plus tax and install.

6. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

you might want to check, i am not sure but i belive that the wiring is diff so just because its a ultra mount i dont think you could put it on a straight blade equiped truck and go

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

seems like its a wash .... I do love our 9' Pro Plus they move some snow and not a lot that can go wrong

8. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

with truck prices so good now i would buy the f550. go big!! my friend just got a f550 for 40,000 l pack dump load also a bigger truck can haul more salt a lot more!!!

9. SGC08

SGC08 Member

If you want to stay with Western, I would think the 9.5 V would be great on that truck. You might not need the V position when there isn't that much snow but the scoop position would make it worth it and it would still transport easily in the V position. And you could get the wings for it if you want to go bigger.

We got a few inches of ice accumulation last year and my MVP broke up the ice in the V position better than any of our straight blades.

Just my $0.02

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo.

If you want interchangeability your not going to get it with a Wideout in the fleet. With a single Wideout (or MVP+) you wont be able to operate it on any other truck except the one it was originally installed on since the wiring is different between the WO/MPV+ and the straight blades you already have. All Ultra's are not the same.

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

It made sense to me. I have a blizzard 810 on my 3500 2wd dump. I love the plow. What i love about it when back dragging in tight places all you have to do is close up the wings. Another plus is when traveling. Driving a dump with an 8ft. plow is easier than driving a dump with a 9ft or even 10ft. Just made alota sense to me, and im loving every minute plowing with the dump. Hope this helps.

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

With the size of the truck I would go 8611LP. The bigger the better in my book. I love my 810, but wish I would have gotten WIDER!

13. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

as far as plows cant give you too much input on it but I would probably personally go with the wideout. for a couple hundred bucks more you have every option available and never have to leave the warm truck. AS for the truck thing, I too am looking to buy a dump truck, though not brand new but i was debating the same issue, 350, 450 or 550. Im intent on buying a 450 or 550 because of the increased GVW and really no other reason. oh and the badge just looks cooler when it says 550 :) Just my 2 cents

14. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

A 350 dump is pretty much useless. You reach max gvw so fast because of the weight of the body alone. A 450 or 550 is SO much better, even if you're in for 5-10 grand more.

15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yeah agree. I know the 350's can still handle more weight than they are rated for but why push it. Around here in Ithaca the DOT is always out and so strict so by the time you try and load it up with 4-6 yards of stone, dirt or salt youre going to be way over the limit!!!!! so im glad we all agree. Go 450 or better yet 550 if you can!ussmileyflag

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Like previously said a 1 ton is useless. Some quick math, 4x4 diesel with a 11ft box no plow on is 9,700lbs. If you license it for 12,000lbs, legally you can only put 2,300lbs in it. That's not even 1 yard of rock. You can license a 1 ton up to 15,000lbs in MN but that is it. At 15,000lbs it still isn't 2 yards. Go with the 550 my buddy has his licensed for 21,000lbs I think he said his truck weighs 10,1xxlbs.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i tend to think the 550 is too small..... for like the same price you can get a 26000 , if you look around... you get so much more bang for your same buck. I guess it depends on your indvidual business, but generally i found that i would rather have the guys drive pick trucks, (cheaper to operate) and if we had to haul anything , we need the extra capacity-

18. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

here are my thoughts. Background information, all my buddies run westerns and I run all blizzards. One problem if you get a wide out, it is not interchangeable with your other westerns. The mount may be the same but wiring is different so back square one with having interchangeable plows on trucks. This eliminates the backup plow taught. If you are ok with that, then go with a blizzard, better built, etc, etc (look up everyones thoughts on plowsite threads.) If you already have pros or pro plus's then get another. This way your safe, you know how to fix them in a jam and can move them around on trucks if need be. As for the Truck size, all depends on how much salt your going to put down. If you have the extra $$$ buy the F450, and if you really want to step up by the F550 but remember you need bigger plates ... meaning bigger DL. Just my two cents.

Ken

19. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Who cares what you want your guys to drive. DirtJerzey is looking for a SMALL dump. I was just telling him what I know about trucks. Besides how much does your medium duty hold? It probably weighs close to 16,000lbs so you can put around 10,000lbs in it. If a 550 weighs 10,000lbs and is licensed for 21,000lbs you can put more weight in the 550!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  20. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a 3500 chevy dump with an 8611lp on it and love it. i am setting up a 2nd truck the same way. I use it in the widepass mode a lot and it can move a lot of snow, especially when loaded with a sander in the back. I also have an 810 on a skidsteer. There is a noticeable difference in capacity between the 2 plows.