1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout won't stay straight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Drottlawn, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Yesterday, I was plowing and noticed going to the next job that my plow was left angled. Problem is, it was straight when I left the prior location. So I looked it over and no leaks or such. I can push on the left side of plow with my hand and it will slowly turn left. It is not a smooth turn, it turns then stops for a split second, releases and does it again. Some how the hydraulic pressure builds then releases. I am trying to figure out if it is the s6 valve or the crossover valve causing this. Anyone have any experience with such a problem.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This is interesting, it can't be a pressure issue if the pump is not engaging spontaneously. It must be leaking valves. There are three possible valves involved, S5, S6 and CR1. Look at page 19 of this link (WO mechanic's guide) http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/27376.00_100107.pdf bottom right corner shows what they call the "bidirectional relief valve" or crossover relief valve. That's what I would look at first. Page 21 shows S5 and S6 as the two top valves on the passenger's side of the plow closest to the rear. Page 61 shows CR1 opening one way when you strike an object. I think your valve is damaged in one direction and is leaking across too easily. Hope that helps....

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Everything works fine on the functions. It will just creep left when hitting bumps going down the road or if I push on it. I am leaning toward cr1 vavle being faulty. I did hit the left side fairly hard the storm before, but did not have the problem til the next storm. Is there a way to clean and disassemble cr1 or is all internal. Just curious if it is maybe a bad o ring in it, or something blocking the valve from shutting all the way. While pushing on the blade, it feels like it holds the pressure for a split second, then releases. I have worked with regular spool valves, but not the cr1 setup. I dont want to start throwing valves and such at it and not fix it. THanks for any help you can give.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never needed to service that valve yet but I expect it's like a normal cartrage valves. I have never seen any service instructions but u can certainly pull it out and look at it. Perhaps it is possible to take it apart and clean it. May b just dirt stuck in the valve or a broken spring.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I figured I would update this in case someone else has this problem. First off, another storm came and I did not have time to look further into it. During that storm my passenger side of plow would not hold any pressure along with the left holding very little. Boy did plowing suck then.
    At the end of the storm, I pulled it in and noticed I was lightly dripping fluid from the bottom of valve block. I pulled the cross over relief and found that one o ring and both plastic rings? were deformed. After a new relief valve, everything is great again!:bluebounc