1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout wiring question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mowman62531, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

Hope someone can help me out! I just got a new wideout for one of our trucks and installed it tonight. I have two problems, first, when I turn on the lights the driver side low beam light is very dim, you can barely see light. The passenger side works fine, and both lights work fine with the brights on. Any ideas? My second question is when I go to scoop, the blade wings retract and when I got to retract the wings, the blade goes into scoop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

hose are backwards bad light????????

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Customer install would be my first guess.

4. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

As a matter of fact it was. I really didn't feel like paying the local dealer $800.00 to install this when I could do it myself.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:Well that was helpfull............

As for the lights take a look at your fuses.
    There are fuses for the head lights.
    If one fuse is blown the light will still glow as it is being back feed by the other working light.

6. Jerre Heyer

Hmm, then why don't the lights work and why are the wings working backwards? Didn't you follow the instructions?

Sno Farmer. He's probably afraid to admit to the dealer that he didn't want to pay for the install that he's having problems with the install he was smart enough to do himself. Just stating the facts as they are presented.

As far as solving the problem. He didn't hook the hoses up right and he didn't put the head light adapters in correctly but hey he could do it himself so why pay someone else.

Jerre

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

yea, but now he learned how his plow works.
    He saved some cash and learned something in the process.

This knowledge will be very helpful when it comes time to troubleshoot any problems out in the field..

I recommend installing your own plow for anyone who is going to be plowing commercially.

8. schuitb

schuitb Member

Self install

dido snowfarmer,

If we always let others fix our own equipment or install it we will not learn a thing and we might as well only plow with our mothers beside us.

;)Cause i know mine can fix anything

9. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

Yeah, thanks for all the info. You know, it's funny. I always liked getting on this site every day and looking for useful information. The one time I actually need my fellow plowsite buds for a little info I get bashed! That's not really very cool in my book. I wouldn't bash anybody else on here for asking a stupid question and there are definently some of those questions on here sometimes. But, you know what, I am still gonna get on here and lend my advice and help others cuz that is what this site is all about! Thanks again for everyone's help! The plow is up and running and waiting for the snow we are supposed to get on Monday! Have a great weekend!

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But you're not doing very well! The first thing a pro does is read and follow instructions, not whine because others rib them about their failure to do so. you're hoping the dealers/experanced mechanics that hang out here will help for free!! But it was worth it because now you're an expert plow repair man, Sno-Farmer said so.
    Another Lowballer is born!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  11. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

At least he was man enough to admit that he tried to do the same thing a "trained" installer would do and messed up, thats worth more than $800. in my book!!

12. Jerre Heyer

LOL, Bucky that's a good one. Only thing he admitted to was that he didn't want to pay for something he could have done. To bashers point that's why my first post was such as it was.

If you want to do it yourself then READ THE INSTRUCTIONS over and over again till you understand what you're doing wrong. Calling / posting for help on a BASIC install that your smart enough to do teaches you nothing except to take the easy way out.

Oh well I'm just one of those dealers that had two weeks of weekend warriors on vacation for the holidays trying to do it themselves but calling or stopping for "FREE" help because they didn't want to pay for it. Mowman and Snofarmer youre not the only one's that didn't like the answers.

Glad you learned a little about your plow while doing your install. Hope you lubed everything up at assembly and pulled the plow down to lube it before putting it on. If not we'll hear from you soon enough again.

Jerre

P.S. don't mind helping out but I do mind "self installers" who have to call out for help cause they don't feel that there dealer isn't worth paying. These same people call at 3 a.m. because they have a problem and can't understand why the dealer won't jump to the task of fixing there problem.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ROFLMAO

Been there, have the tattoo

love the guys that do it themselves F&^$ it up, bring it in Bi^&(ing about cheap crap, factory screw ups, etc... then are pi$$ed because you charge them to fix their install mistakes.
    "isn't it covered under warranty?"LOL

14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok first check your configuration plug on the lights. If one light goes out, it means you probably have that backwards. If not there is something not hooked up right in harness to truck wiring.

The other which I did myself on 1 of the 3 wideouts I have put together. You probably have the hoses crossed when you routed them. BTW this is very bad for the pump/cylinders. As you can bent the cylinders because of the flow restrictors in the pump. Carefully look at each line against the directions to make sure its routed right.

BTW I would have told the deal to kiss my u know what. $800 is a complete rip off. $450 is about the going rate for a wideout/V plow install. I would have installed it myself too.

15. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

All I can say is wow! Jerre, if you were the dealer here in my area I would've definently brought it to you to install. But instead, I have a really crappy dealer here in Springfield, Illinios and they are not very knowledgable at all! We have 7 trucks, all with Western plows and we have done all of the work on them except the first one. We are a very reputable irrigation service and not lowballers. I am sorry everyone is getting in an uproar about this I just thought I would ask for help from the guys who I have learned so much from on this site. Once again, I am very sorry for bothering anybody on here with my stupid questions...................

16. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

You know if it wasn't for people like mowman, myself and everyone else that IS willing to do it for themselves, then the way i see it there is NO reason for this website!!

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't use them how do you know their crappy?

If there isn't any support why do you run that type blade?

Find something you can get support for.

OK, like those of us who know would be shattered if you stayed away. Only one making any money at this are the owners. All of you who want to do it yourselves would be S.O.L. if the pros didn't show up to help. Nothing I like better then doing what I do for a living for free. I'm sure Jerre feels the same way, Three's nothing like some whiny lowballer unwilling to pay for trained pro service griping about our unwillingness to render willing assistance to resolve your issues.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So you do mind

It looks like I'm a lowballer and every one who robbed an installer of an install and did it them selves is too.

Whoo, you big dealers , stop Kidding your selfs..

What he did is what I would have done in his position.
    There have been a lot of, as you call them "stupid question" on this board,( jerre, you din't seem to be happy hear?)

A lot of "PROs" have had a hard time figuring out simpler problems.

Yea call an dealer that is the funnest thing I've heard.
    as they keep bankers hours and there is no one to answer the phone.

but like I said before
    "This knowledge will be very helpful when it comes time to troubleshoot any problems out in the field..
    I recommend installing your own plow for anyone who is going to be plowing commercially"

that's right, because I said so.

Basher,
    I thought that is part of why we hang out hear is to help?
    so what if he made a simple mistake.
    It's just a plow and no one or anything got harmed,,, relax

no reason to jump his Sh1t over it....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i know this is a thread with some age but i found it interesting that so called "pro's" were such jerks about it? dont' let it spoil you on PS. we are not "up-tight" about questions like some other sites are (maybe why there is 26k members I*DoNo)LOL

MOWMAN: have you got to use it yet i lke the idea of the wide-out

JERRE: What.... if anything was profesional about your little temper-tantrem??. are you mad 'cause someone did'nt by a blizzard and let you take a torch to it:rolleyes: oh. oh. maybe it would work better if we welded a NUT to the thing for a bumpstop instead of making it look like something a "PROFESIONAL" built:rolleyes:

BASHER: get off your horse man...... the guy had a q' and a few tried to answer untill you're buddy jerre jumped in and then there you were "bashing" i have a hard time beleiving that you have as many post as you do and there is this much agression in each of them?

SNOFARMER:i'm glad somebody stood up to the self proclaimed "pro's" till i got hereLOL

BUCKY:"You know if it wasn't for people like mowman, myself and everyone else that IS willing to do it for themselves, then the way i see it there is NO reason for this website!!" you are ok:salute:

P.S. JERRE: if you run across another Q' you can't answer DONT FLAME THE GUY, JUST WAIT FOR B&B TO ANSWER IT. or maybe you was mad because you had one with the same prob and B&B had not answered it yet?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007