1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout wing loose/flopping?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BIGSTEVE, Feb 21, 2015.

1. BIGSTEVE

BIGSTEVE Junior Member

Have a brand new wideout that I Love! The right side wing when extended seems to be loose/flopping? Took back to dealer, and they havent seen this before. They tried tightening the spring adjuster that puts tension on the wing and it held for two days. Now I'm back to floppy wing. It still functions ok but obviously something isn't right. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this problem? I want to bring it back in Monday morning with an idea of what to tell the dealer. Please advise....

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Loose and floppy like it rattles up and down or loose as in it springs back "closed"? One of my wideouts has a small valve leak and it starts to move on its own sometimes. But if yours shakes and rattles, that's a different problem. You need to check the backside of the moldboard. the wing runs in a slot. It could be bent or twisted or even a weld broken.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Look at the stopper bolt at the end of the wing tube. It's a 1/2 NC hex head bolt that the wing hits to make it flip forward. If that bolt is loose the wing will flop. Also look at the pin the wing swings on.

4. BIGSTEVE

BIGSTEVE Junior Member

On Friday the dealer took the stopper pin out... Extended wing out past stopper bolt and visually inspected. Everything put back together. They tightened the tensioner spring for the wing and that tightened it back up. But now it's loose again in extended position. Not in scoop position.

5. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

tuned in on this one .I just bought 1.love it .gave it a beaten all day , didn't miss a lick .

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

If anyone wants to see what can go wrong with a wideout, let me know. they aren't bullet proof. They have their flaws. Trust me

7. mishnick

Perhaps the threads on the spring tension bolts are stripped and the spring is no longer tight. If tightening the spring fixed it the first time.
    I had s Wide-out for years. Was a great plow but they are more delicate than a simple straight blade or a V.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is there a lock nut on the spring.eyebolt?

9. mishnick

There is no jam-nut from the factory, just a single nut, probably a nylock. The mechanics guide says tighten the nut until 3/4 inches of threads show.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. dieselss

Lock nut, nylock, wizlock, or a jam nut. It needs a non normal bolt.
    I usually tighten till the spring expanding, then install, and try and move the wing by hand. If it don't move forward...it's good.

11. BIGSTEVE

BIGSTEVE Junior Member

We tightened it until it didn't move anymore. It actually measured out to be about 1.25" in on threads. It has now loosened two days later

12. mishnick

Perhaps the spring is stretched now?

13. dieselss

1.25 from where? And what about locking type nut? Did it actually back off

14. BIGSTEVE

BIGSTEVE Junior Member

We tightened until 1.25" of thread showing. Nut did not back off

15. dieselss

I'm sure it didn't back off after you tightend it, but after a few uses it will. So that's why I asked about a locking type nut