1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout wing cutting edges

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ford4x4guy74, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ford4x4guy74

ford4x4guy74 Junior Member

This is my third season with my wideout. I love this plow! My cutting edges are getting wore. I was looking at it today and was wondering if anyone has ever switched the edges from one side to other and got some more use out of them. If this would work it would be great especially since my western dealer is saying $180 a side to replace them!! :( Any information is greatly appreciated! Have a great season all!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You could switch them side to side but then the worn part will be on the inside allowing snow to leak under. The sad thing is that when you put new wing rubbers on you have to replace the main cutting edge too in order to keep a uniform adge across both wings and the main blade. The solution is to charge more money for plowing so you can afford to put new cutting edges on without breaking the bank....

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I swaped mine from side to side no problem!

4. ford4x4guy74

ford4x4guy74 Junior Member

I would think the wing edges would wear faster than the steel cutting edge....well I'm going to switch them and see what happens. Thanks for all the information! ussmileyflag

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I tried switching mine, not because they were worn down but because they were worn round from rubbing against curbs. I found that the worn outside edge being inside allowed snow to pass through, obviously it depends on how bad they are worn... As for wearing faster than metal... the metal cutting edge will not allow the rubber edge to wear any faster than it does because the metal stops the rubber from touching, like a guide. Only the outside edge of the rubber wears faster because of uneven surfaces and curbs.

6. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

oh and buy your replacements from Falline. they are yellow tho but only $90/side... think there listed as fishers on there website

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know on my wings on my MVP and pro plus I buy urethane in a 6'stick and cut them to fit Last stick I bought was around 200 and I can make 3 pairs for same price as one set from a dealer

I didn't know if a person can do the same with a Wideout