1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Wing Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Fourbycb, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I was wondering if any of the wideout users out there have gone to using the Jerre steel cutting edges on the wings or any other steel brand cutting edges instead of the rubber factory one's. How do they like or dislike the Steel

2. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Good question, and I'd like to add:

What are the additional damage risks to the wings from using steel edges over poly?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have a wide-out but I would be very reluctant to put the extra weight (and rigidity) of metal cutting edges on the wings. They seem so delicate that I am afraid that they would be destroyed in no time. The wings move so fast when they flip forward and back that I would be afraid something would bend. I have seen the wing ram anchor, that is welded to the centre of the back of the blade, bend the moldboard on a brand new plow. If you built your own, or studied the parts sheet, you would notice two little brass things that go under two of the long hose elbo fittings on the hydraulic unit. These are restricted check valves that slow the flow of oil going one way to the wings. They put those in because without the wings were self destructing! All this makes me feel like metal cutting edges are not such a good idea.

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I might be wrong but i beleive the blizzards wings have a steel cutting edge on the wings, and ive never heard of anyone having issues. The ones from jerre have great reviews from the guys on here but are pricey. I priced some from falline (think thats how its spelled) and they are much cheaper then factory and the also have good reviews on here.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have destory my wideout twice, I never had a problem with the wings except for wear. I sold it off this year and the long short story is a I have a new one.

IMG_0046qw.jpg

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What?????......I thought you were done with the "Wideout"...You go out and buy a New one......:laughing:....Where did you get the Blade markers?

Falline Edges have worked well for me on My XLS......Thumbs Up

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

i post up on the subject later on how i stayed with western

fallline tips are pretty good and half the price

IMG_20110203_131115d.jpg

8. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have to ask one old dog why did you sell the wideout and what caused you to trash it and why then get another one

I have had my wideout for two years now and not one single problem

9. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

hey fourby. I also have a spare set of the falline edges, they definatly seem harder then the factory ones, and half the price. As for wear rates I can't comment haven't needed to install mine yet. this will be the 3rd winter for my wideout and I've noticed at the mid mark of last winter that the wearing seemed to almost stop, the factory ones are still on and cutting clean, seems like once they wear to match the steel main cutting edge they stop wearing IMO. I like the Jerre's ones but can't justify spending nearly $700 bucks for them.... you can put 3 sets of falline ones on for that price. I really don't recommend steel edges either.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have jerres and I am very happy with them. They have the steel inside the composite rubber and they do a great job and have very minimal wear. They are not cheap, but I should get 3 seasons out of them they are the best curb guard you can buy for the western or fisher expandables. The fall lines look like they work well also.