1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Wing Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by UNCLETONY, Feb 18, 2010.

1. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

I have had a couple of WideOuts now for about two years. I just got done replacing my Boss V cutting edge, with curb guards it came out to $360 and was a kick a nuts. The WideOut's have a composite (rubber or plastic I can't tell) cutting edge on the wings. They are currently coming close to steel and I called a dealer and he said they are $150 a piece. So I am looking at $600 for 4 small plastic pieces. I am thinking about flipping them by putting the right side on the left side. They are a bit worn so I am wondering if anyone has flipped them. I am thinking that it might leave a trail when I plow, but I could be wrong. Also, anyone know of a company that makes these for a reasonable rate. I am sure shipping would not be much because they are so small. Any information would be greatly appreciate. I assume that there are going to be quite a few guys in my position coming next season as the WideOut gets older.

Uncle T.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

These are the best edges you can get for the Wideout/XLS (I know, I have 2 sets of them), but you wont get them at a "reasonable" rate. Have your vaseline ready.

4. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Thanks for the quick response guys. I just emailed them and I'll let you know the damage. Any of you guys have any success on putting the left on the right and right on the left side?

5. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have a set of edges from jerre and I would highly recommend them to anyone with a wideout.

6. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Jerre's quoted me a price for $600 a set delivered. I understand they need to make money, but I can't afford that for just the rest of year. I have had my Wideouts for two years now and they are just wearing out so the stock one's for half the price would last me two more years. If I was rolling snow over curbs all day I would snatch up the product that Jerre's makes right away or I would fab up something myself. Still want to know if anyone has flipped their the cutting edges?

7. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

If you cant afford maintenance on your equipment, you should rethink your business plan. Worn out cutting edges should mean only one thing to me--$$$$$$$$. I do not think I could wear mine out without making $$$$$$$$$. Good luck with your decision.

8. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Lets not turn this thread into a discussion about business models. I created this thread because I thought with the age of the wideout many guys would be in the same situation as me. I had no idea that a piece of plastic would cost $150 and I hope that this now gives everyone who owns a wideout a heads up. Also I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative to purchasing the cutting edge from a dealer. Similar to using a conveyor rubber as a snow shield, running a filter from an auto parts store in your equipment for half the price, or an auto alternator in your equipment. Some parts are interchangeable without compromising your equipment. Most of the time they are the same part or better than an OEM part. I emailed my rubber supplier with the question yesterday but he hasn't got back to me yet. If I can't get any alternative I am going to try switching the sides next week and I'll let everyone know if the plow leaves any trails.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

There have been plenty of guy sin your situation who have decided to upgrade their wing edges to something that really will last. They cost more because they are higher quality and a superior design to the stock edges. You get what you pay for, is this not the case with everything you buy?

You purchased a $7,000 highly advanced piece of snow removal equipment and expected that the cutting edges would still only cost as much as a straight blade? Some things remain the same for years and years. Other things change and are upgraded. This is simply the price of conducting business as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck. The Edges that Jerre has ARE better than OEM. They last longer and help protect your blade and wings. I'm willing to bet you don't completely understand how they function....

You could always upgrade to steel wing edges like I have, but I don't know if I would be comfortable doing that on a Red or Yellow plow....

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

JohnnyU--excellent reply, I was just thinking what you said. Your plow price comparo is spot on. Suck it up people, buy the new cutting edges, and make money. Build a new set annually into your budget from here on out. Peace and love.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

I was able to get in contact with Fall Line Poly (Nevada). They make a direct replacement for the cutting edge. Here is the link http://www.fallline.com/store/Details.cfm?Cat_ID=9&ProdID=285&secondary=48&category=. They quoted me a price of $102 per cutting edge for two sets shipped to my door. $50 less than dealer. So we have one alternative to dealer prices.

John, my factory edges have lasted two seasons for my specific application. I mostly am running between rows of cars and not rubbing curb. I don't doubt that Jerre's has a good product it just doesn't fit for my specific application. I would also attempt to fabricate something myself for a curb edge before I spend $1200 for two sets of cutting edges.

FYI, I picked up my Wideouts for $5600 a piece cash-and-carry two years ago. I had to install them myself though of course:dizzy:. Learning curve from 4 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours on my second one.

I might switch the cutting edges sides this weekend if I'm not busy getting loaded :drinkup:. I'll let everyone know if the plow leaves a trail or not.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If I remember correctly from following Jerre and Fred's development and beta testing, FallLine may be the OEM supplier of the edges for DD.

The added material around the corner of the wing will help increase life as well as protect the moldbard. I have Winter Carbides on my wing edges to prolong their life, but I'm also running steel edges. All I'm saying is that you can't always sell to the lowest bidder, and GET (ground engaging tools) is one of the areas that I'm willing to cheap-out.

[​IMG]

13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer told me to flip my edges, have not tried it but I will, my dealer also quoted me $100 per side for new oem rubber.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

$600....get right on that.

I think you took that the wrong way, or maybe I'm interpreting differently myself, but from my seat, It's not about affording the maintenance, he and alot of other people (including myself) feel like were getting raped for what the part is. You know damn well D&D is making a killing off what their selling it for. I know that poly stuff isn't cheap...but come on...

As far as the junk yard dog; Jerre...Yeah, I'm all set with lining that clowns pockets, even if it is a clever design.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be using it. FYI, you can buy the kit that includes both sides. new hardware and mounting brackets for $240. Obviously Fallline is the way to go if you don't need the rest of the stuff.

15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Repo,
    Have you ever purchased or dealt with Jerre at all? My guess is no, you are probably taking the biggest clown of all's (some would know whom I am talking about) opinion about him. To be honest his edges IMO are over priced, but with the R&D that went into the design and the cost of the molds, my guess is he probably have to sell several hundred sets to recoup the costs. He is one dealer in Erie, PA. Do you expect him to be able to make those sales in less then a year?

That being said (and I don't have a wideout or XLS) from what I hear the Polar edges are worth every penny. They will outlast the stock edges 10 fold or more. So buy what you want, but don't cry when you spend double on the OE edges.

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

''I was able to get in contact with Fall Line Poly (Nevada). They make a direct replacement for the cutting edge. Here is the link http://www.fallline.com/store/Detail...y=48&category=. They quoted me a price of $102 per cutting edge for two sets shipped to my door. $50 less than dealer. So we have one alternative to dealer prices.''

i have these on mine and they are wearing well, i will post more with pic's tomorrow....the dealers are nuts

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My guess as well. I haven't seen him around much lately. Wonder where he's been hiding....:rolleyes:

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not sure who you're referring to as "the biggest clown", but I can assure you I don't base my opinions and actions off others input. I think my posts here and other locations states that all by itself. Jerre is no exception, I have spoken with him, and I do have my own reasons for disliking the man, without getting into a pissing match with those Jerre fans out there, we should just leave it at that.

Again......

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've talked to him several times myself and have nothing but good things to say for him, his shop, his products, and his personality. As with any industry, it's the few who had some kind of bad experience (often self-generated) that run their mouths and make it known, whereas seldom do the many many satisfied customers voice their praises.

I'm curious to hear of your "experience", Ryan. :rolleyes:

20. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Let's not bad mouth Jerre or each other in this thread guys, let's keep it to the equipment. I switched the cutting edges from left to right on one of my Wideouts. Surprisingly my other Wideout isn't worn bad at all. Most likely due to the two different drivers that are usually in each truck. On my driveway I didn't notice any trails ussmileyflag.

I am thinking about fabricating some curb guards for next season that would go in front of the existing poly (little project for next fall). There might be someone who already makes these??? that I dont know about. I don't have a brake big enough, but I don't think any fab shop would charge too much for them to be made. All it would be would be a piece of 3/8" flat steel 4" tall, bent to wrap around the wing 3". I would have the shop machine the bolt pattern holes (don't have a drill press either). This steel would just go in front of the current poly and all I would need to install is 3/8" longer bolts. The reason I was thinking about making it only 4" tall and not all the way to the ground is because I still want the plow to trip fully in scoop mode. Don't rip this idea or me apart, I like to keep things positive.