1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout vs. Snoway?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by starspangled6.0, Jun 14, 2014.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

Hey guys-

I'm in the market for a good parking lot plow for my 07 CC\Dually. Looking at either a Wideout or a Snoway... any thoughts? I've had great luck with the 8.5' Hiniker V on our 04 Duramax, so that might be an option, too. We need something for medium size lots, as well as bigger drives.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Douglas Dynamics plows have really been sucking in the quality department lately, so take that with a grain of salt. Snoway plows seem pretty decent, as well as Hiniker.

3. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Let's see......I have a 7 year old XLS and not had a lick of trouble with it......Owned Boss, Snoway, Fisher and Western.....They all have their pros and cons....But, by far the XLS is the most productive and reliable plow I have ever owned......Isn't the XLS a DD plow?......:nod:

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't say it was a bad plow, but they've had their issues. And all I own are DD Fishers.

5. Defcon 5

I'm just tired of guys coming on here and Bitching about their plows for the dumbest reasons and calling them junk....My decals fell off ....This plow is junk...I was plowing at 40 miles per hour and hit a manhole and broke the center pin on my "V".....This Plow is junk.....All plows have their issues......Yes, even Boss plows.....Owned them...They have the same warts as all the other ones....They just cover those warts a little better......

To the Op...Both the wideout and snoways are good plows......It boils down to dealer support.....Talk to people that have owned both....Take a good hard look in person at both plows.....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

There are pros and cons to every plow. You run 3 different plows in a lot you'll find some characteristics of each plow that you like

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They are really two different plows.

The wide out can be a 8 ft straight plow while the Snoway at that size is a box pusher.

The Snoway can start as a 10ft straight blade and rotate the wings forward to a full ninety degrees.

The Western is chain lift while the Snoway is direct lift.

The Snoway has Down Pressure.

the DD products use the isolation module and interrelated headlight and controls while the Snoway has the simplicity of EIS headlight harnesses.

First item on the criteria list should be local dealer support.

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This! :salute:

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:laughing:
    One can lift it's self of the ground, in a timely matter.

snoway has gone k-mart
    same old "black"steel,
    it's not a hammered finish those are rust pock marks covered up with a finish.

Defcon 5, it's not that other brands don't have any issues it's the fact snow way left a lot of plows on the ground. Then sno-way whined about all the bad press they were getting on this forum and had the snow-way forum pulled.
    now, that is some good support.
    just leave'em on the ground....

As basher said,"
    "First item on the criteria list should be local dealer support."

that would remove snow-way from anyone's list...

10. Defcon 5

:laughing:......Better watch out....You are gonna hurt Bashers feelings....:drinkup:

11. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Chris/Joe at ploworld would make the snoway a decent choice because of support. If you are going to another dealer be careful as many are new dealers.

Plenty of good western dealers in the cities.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like djagusch has the skinny on your local dealers:salute:

No way, hard to have my feelings hurt when I'm LMAO.:laughing:

Hammered finish, you can tell how many decades it's been since he's seen a Snoway.:laughing:

To sum up Gregg's post;

all Snoway dealers suck and all (insert Snofarmer's favorite plow brand) are highly experienced experts that never make a mistake.

Lack of a forum presence translates to a lack of local support.

7 years ago snoway had a single product line issue (discontinued) that has tainted every other product they make.

:laughing:

13. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Everybody is going to have an opinion. Best advice consistently has been dealer support. And a dealer that has carried the brand 5+ years and sells some volume. Too many dealer have 1 master mechanic and 5 $8 per hour monkeys in the shop. Talk to some locals that run multiple plow truck of their own, they know the good dealers.

By the way, I'm replacing 2 Speedwings for Snoway's 26r and 29r plows this summer. Just my thought's!

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

My dealer is really good mechanical and knowledge wise but his other half of his business always keeps him so busy. He always seems to be booked up for longer than I need him to be. It seems I always have to wait at least 2 weeks !!

15. Head1

Head1 Junior Member

Simple on which one to buy..................

Ask yourself WHY is there NO Snoway forum on this site?
    WHY is there a thread for Western/Fisher/Blizzard/Meyers and others but NO Snoway?

Search on WHY then decide for youself on which one to buy!

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Well do you know why? Have you ever owned one and can give us an opinion?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why? is Snoway doesn't pay for one. You can check them out on a lot of other places, Facebook, twitter, etc.

18. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And how does that answer his question? He asked about Western and Snoway, not your opinion on Fisher.