1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout vs 9.5 mvp?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SalNazzaro, Aug 24, 2011.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I already have a brand new unused western wideout and was wondering which would be better? How does the wideout scrape and clean up? Was thinking an mvp because the steel cutting edges, should I look for an mvp or is my wideout all I need? I mainly do large shopping centers and might take on long (mile or more) stone construction entrance roads.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In large open area's that wideout will be way faster then an MVP.

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok just thinking about doing first passes in untouched lots/driveways too

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think the only real benefit to the v over the wideout would be the breaking open drifts. I would geuss carrying snow would be about the same if you put wings in the v.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The Western rep told me at the SIMA symposium that a Wideout can carry 40% more snow than a 8'6" MVP with wings (which is what I have). Once he said that I knew what my next plow would be.

6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Take Camdens word over mine, it was just a guess.

7. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's all I was thinking is drifts and deep untouched snow, don't know how the wideout will do bought it at the end of this season and haven't used it yet!

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8'6" MVP with wings and a 810 Blizzard. We both had the same amount of snow to scoop and move to an existing pile. The MVP was done way before me. This is a real life test. Not sure the rep has tried this out.

The only 2 times I put my plow in Vee to bust through a drift it got stuck and I had to shovel the truck out. Mind you the drift was about 200' long.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Wideout on the way so I'll get to find out first hand if the Western rep knew what he was talking about. I'm very impressed with the amount of snow I can carry with my MVP but I can't take it through several of my accounts that have drive-thrus because the wings make it too wide. I hate getting out to take them off just so I can make a few passes before putting them back on so hopefully the Wideout can help in that department.

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

For wide open spaces the wideout will win hands down everytime! As far as carrying snow the wideout in scoop is almost 9ft wide a 9.5 mvp in scoop is 8.5 i belive this is correct and you can still angle the plow in scoop mode with the wideout. Now a friend of mine has an mvp with wings i was helping him catch up on a lot we split i was done first then helped on his half it could be how i drive or whatever but the wideout is faster in my opinion.

11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Alos the wideout has steel cutting edges except for the wings. it scrapes great after the firt hour after putting on a new cutting edge

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

So when guys have V plows with wings why are you running them in scoop. If you were to run it straight with the wings it's the same as the wideout with the wings scooped. A 9'6" straight with wings will be 10'6". I'm not saying a wideout isn't the fastest plow in wide open areas and putting the wings on and off a V is a bit of a pain.

Roy you will love the wideout.

13. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's what I was thinking about is a 9.5 v will be 10.5 w wings and if I need to break through deep snow or drifts I'll be set, like I first said I might be plowing mile long access roads so I don't know about a straight blade pushing all that

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will be happy with either plow. They are both great. You might want to reinforce the wings on the V blade. They will bend if hit into curbs.