1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Dec 11, 2008.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Has anyone used or own both plows to give a comparison? I do a lot of commercial and some residential and am looking to upgrade my Pro Straight blade.

2. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I was going to ask the same question but I did a search first ( like all the old crugmudgeons tell us noob's :yow!:) and I found your question.
    I will anxiously await the answer!!

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

What your asking is basically a blizzard vs Vplow question. I will tell you I have owned both and the Wideout / blizzard will plow circles around a Vplow. I now have 4 blizzards. The extra width is a real advantage along with the wings. NO COMPARISON IN MY BOOK.
  4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I have plowed with an 810 Blizzard and my 8'5" MVP with wings that measure 10'5". They each have their advantages. Contrary to what many people say, the Blizzard will hold more snow before spilling out. I wouldn't say that it will plow circles around a V, but it will push more snow.

Windrowing with each is very comparable, especially if you have wings on the V. The V will definitely perform better in extreme depths, or when trying to break through frozen piles. Just vee it back and slice through the snow.

They are both great plows, and they each have their niche in the market. Unless you live in an area the gets snowfalls measured in feet and not inches, I would suggest going with the Blizzard style plow. I like my MVP, but the next plow I get is going to be a Blizzard 8611 on my International 4700.

Overall this is, IMO, the most important part of selecting what brand of plow to purchase. The plow you purchase is only as good as the dealer. Consider the dealers that when making your choice. How far of a drive, how knowledgable, reputation, customer service etc are all important come crunch time when you need a part RIGHT NOW or are having problems.

That's my $.02.
  5. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Is the Wideout exactly the same as the Blizzard? Weight? Gauge steel? Wings and function? Are there any differences? I know it's the same company but any better buying one from the other, except color?
  6. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate the input!
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The two plows are quite different. Mainly in the area of lift and weight. Most have said the wideout tends to ride up on the snow and not clean as well. The wideout also has a chain to lift. My rec is to look through all the blizzard threads and threads with the wideout and XLS and make your own decission.
  8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I agree with the blizzard users, I don't run them personally but i've seen how much snow they carry compared to my MVP. However, I will always have atleast one or two V's around, just incase you need to bust through some serious snow to make a first pass.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Very well put Duncan, and I'm in the same boat as lawnpros. It's going to really depend on what you're doing with it I suppose, personal preference. Personally, as much of a Western fan as I am, I don't think the Wideout compares to a Blizzard. If I were to do it, I'd go with Blizzard any day. I can and have had the opportunity, but I've decided to stick with my MVP's. I just bought a 3rd.
  10. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

ive been a western guy and still am but being that I just bought a dump truck and was plowing some real big accounts this winter I looked into blizzards because of the 8611LP plus the fact that half of my buddies use blizzards and the other half westerns..... This is how i figured on things.... I didnt like only having an 8' plow on a dually so being that the wideout was only a 8-10' was the first reason I ruled out the wideout... If it were just a single rear wheel truck it would be different. Also what i liked about the blizzards is the wings have steel cutting edges, compared to western which are the rubber/poly edge, i have been told by a few people that you get about 40hours plowing time with them, i know my wings on the western straight blade got eaten up pretty quick. Western also bought blizzard so that they could copy the power plow idea. The power plow has been out wayyy longer then the wide out, and I know there are still a lot of bugs in the wideout... Now if I were to have a new personal truck it would be a wideout. The ultramount mount is so low profile its almost not there, the blizzard mount is like a brick wall underneath the the truck so it looks hideous, but on a work truck who cares. Also my 8611 has maybe 40hours on it from this year and its already start to rust, paint and stickers are all peeling, cutting edge bent within the first few min of use, probably the drivers fault but still the edge is very skinny for a commmercial plow. The plow came with a bad angle ram, out of the box, after its first time of use i had some issues with the plow not staying up blizzard recalled my whole wire harness and in cab controls on the spot. Every problem i had was fixed no questions asked and immediately. Everyone that i spoke to including the dealer thinks the plow was a lemon from the start. My western has probably 50 hours on it and is in wayyy better shape, has taken more of a beating and still looks new, the western sticker is finally just starting to peel. And I have had no issues with the plow

Regardless im sure that was a long read. But to sum it up, I love my 8611 now that everything is in order with it. A few western guys that were skeptacle about the blizzard at first are starting to really like the plow. The biggest issue they have is the big mount and the old style lights, but at the same time these western guys have plows on all personal trucks so that I do understand., any other work trucks i buy in the future will have power plows, personal truck i would go with a wideout simply because of the low profile truck mount. Hope some of this helps, being that I have and still use both plows
  11. Dejana Dorian

Dejana Dorian Member

Western bought Blizzard about 2years ago for their technology to build the Wide-out. Take a look at the back of both plows where the wings extend and retract. Western modified their set-up and the snow doesn't get as packed where the rams are. Nicer, cleaner set-up.
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm all Western, but would take a Blizzard over a Wideout any day. Have you really looked at the 2 side by side? No comparison IMHO.
  13. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've been plowing for 30+ years...always with a straight blade. I put a new W/O on my 2008 3/4 Chevy and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We've had about 25 plow events this year and the wings show no visable wear.
  14. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

fisher/western are the same. difference between wideout and blizzard? try to repair a ..blizzard. blizzard has many design flaws. wideout has remedy for poor design.

dont get me started on the blizzard power unit.
  16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Which gen Blizzard are you referring to, there's 3.
  17. Dejana Dorian

Dejana Dorian Member

Douglas Dynamics owns Fisher and Western.. In Nov 2005 D.D. bought Blizzard, and improved the "expandable wing" feature and that begot the Western Wide-out and Fisher XLS.
  18. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

So how well to the Blizzard's stack and lift? Are they as good as a plow like a Boss considering they use the same lift design?