1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Trip Edge?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 9, 2015.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

When will Western offer the Wideout in a trip edge like the XLS? Can't stand yellow...

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't think they ever will. That is the main difference fischer and western. Even the straight blades are that way. May have to buy a fischer and paint it.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Wide-out is already 800 lbs + or -. Adding trip edge would make it so heavy only track loaders would be able to lift it. It would also be very complicated to make a trip edge with the wing rams and related hardware. Tell you what, designe a prototype that works and submit it to Western.... Doe Fisher have something similar to Wide-out with trip edge?

4. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

The fisher xls is a yellow wideout.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it is isn't it

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edge wide out

xls_3.jpg

7. mishnick

That looks very heavy. But since Fisher is Douglas Dynamics what's the problem? That's like saying you will drive a Camaro but won't be caught dead in a Firebird??? What's the difference. Same electronics, same hydraulic unit, the only difference is the color, the truck side mount and the fact that is has a trip edge.

985 lbs for the XLS and 940 for the Wide-out, not nearly as heavy as I would have thought. So again I ask why not just buy the XLS?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You just described the XLS. I thought I read that wrong earlier today, I was like "WtF'

9. 1olddogtwo

Trip edges saves transmissions......lol

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

In the ops defense I could wanting a trip edge wideout if he had a fleet of western plows and wanted a trip edge wideout. If he goes xls that truck and plow will be incompatible with the rest of his equipment.

Otherwise I agree with everyone. Trip edge buy xls. I have a wideout and am fine with the full trip.

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Buy western headgear and fisher plow mate them together and viola trip edge western haha.

12. mishnick

I ran a wide-out for four seasons and had no problems with the full blade trip. I have seen lots of ripped hoses though (as a plow mechanic during the day) because people who build their own fail to provide the proper slack in the hose above the pivot. But as long as you have that slack and don't drive like a wildman it's fine. I am not familiar with the truck mount / coupler system on Fisher but I can say that nothing compares to the Western ultramount pivot bar system. I would never sacrifice that for the sake of a trip edge over full trip.

As for transmission problems, I don't run Dodges so I have never had to replace a trans on any of my plow trucks. That seems to be a Dodge diesel problem but as always it's the plows fault, not Dodge...

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Get an xls and a few cans of this. :laughing:

Glitter-Spray-Paint.jpg

14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Haha. I understand Douglas owns both...that's why I was asking. People saying "just buy a Fisher if you want a trip edge" are the same people that said "if you want a adjustable wing plow just buy a Blizzard" four years ago.
    I was hoping someone with inside know may chime in since it's mid season and let us know they are coming out next year or something. That's what I was hoping to hear. I don't want another full trip plow. Won't run them again. I also have red trucks and yellow hanging off the front just doesn't work for me. Heck don't even know where a Fisher dealer is around me. Pretty rare to see a yellow plow in these parts.

Also, I said in the first post I don't like yellow so a Fisher isn't an option. Gotta be red.

15. mishnick

A good dealer is a critical choice in deciding what plow you buy for sure. I work at a Western dealer but still we do some service on Fisher, Blizzard and Snoway too. The operators complain bitterly about how far they have to go for service. Most, even if they don't like Western, eventually switch to Western because good, close service is essential. We have a dealership just a few blocks away from our shop that sells Fisher and Western but they don't stock any parts at all. Their prices are a bit lower but everything is minimum 48 hours away, not cool when you have a rout to do and no spare plow. At our shop we have a huge cash of parts and fortunately we have some skilled techs too.

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Trip Edges save the :drinkup: from spilling in the cup holder
    and everything in the seat stays in the seat like my Log book. The other day ran my 8.6 pro plus and my Log book spent more time in the floor board then in the seat

I would buy a wideout if it was a trip edge

I don't like the hook ups on a fisher Love the Ultra Mount

17. 1olddogtwo

don't get me start on the trip vs full debate.

plow 017.jpg

old plow2.jpg

18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How many times do we have to tell you curbs are not gonna move. :laughing:

Seriously thou I bet that felt wonderful, how many teeth marks in the steering wheel?

19. mishnick

At least it look uniformly bent.... all the way across the frog.... How fast fast were you going when "the unstoppable plow hit the immovable object?" I guess if you are going to plow at highways speeds the trip edge would be better. It appears that 90plow's suggestion is making more sence now: "Buy western headgear and fisher plow mate them together and viola trip edge western haha."

20. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Dog has the inside connections at DD ... for a price he'll get a red Fisher XLS moldboard. Just "SHOW HIM THE MONEY!" .... JK