1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Stuck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rcpd34, Jan 29, 2016.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

So I bought a used Wideout yesterday. Been sitting in the yard for a year. Hooked it up and everything works fine except the right wing won't extend. It scoops, but won't slide out. Any suggestions before I pull the cylinder pin and try to hammer it out?

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

drop it a few times and press the retract button.
    then try dropping it on a flat 2x4 if it won't work. Then try the hammer haha

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Doesn't it have to extend to go into full scoop? Man that could be anything from something stuck in there to a bad valve. I'd try gently tapping it out.

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Guy says it would occasionally do this when cold. My Blizzard did too. It needs a bit of wire wheel and paint...

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the pin. Could be rusted inside.

6. Brian Young

Your area isn't very cold though (I would imagine) now. Sounds like it's just froze up, I'd try working it loose and if and when it comes loose I'd change out the fluid for sure.

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with Brian. It has to extend in order to scoop. I'm confused.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It is physically impossible to do what you're describing, can you clarify?

Sounds like it won't retract, but there must be some movement for it to extend and flatten out, is that the correct assumption I'm making?

9. dieselss

Guys it's not impossible. If the the slide is frozen, i.e. cold or rust then the only action is to curl the wing out. Happens a lot on my blizzard. So either his is frozen, or the slide is rusted, or there's damage.

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

It's definitely not fully extended and it does flip out to scoop and back; it just won't extend. Wing will not budge in or out and inch. Only the scoop flips in and out.

11. dieselss

Pull the wing cylinder pin, and the allen bolt and try to manually pull the wing assm out.

12. Brian Young

Never thought it could do that...hummm, good luck with it.

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hello.... brain fart here, you are 100% correct

14. dieselss

Your allowed one. After that the beatings will commence

15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Learn something new every day!

Same here.

Beating on a 73 year old man makes no sense.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the wing is moving into scoop (as it can and will) the ram is extending so it's not a hydraulic issue. It's a seized slide box. Look at this link http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/49590.05_050114.pdf page 4, item 10. Disconnect the two hoses, pull out pin #7 and the stopper bolt #12 then the whole slider box assembly with the wing and spring will come out in one pice. DON'T take the tension off the spring, you don't have to but it looks like you do,,,, take my word for it.... You may need a bobcat to yank it out if it is that badly seized that the hydraulics won't slide it. :nod:

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We had to use a prota power on one of ours to jack it out.

18. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

And I thought lubricating the box was over kill? I would try blasting some penitrated spray in thr before using something mechanical to break it free

19. dieselss

I pull both my wings and slide box's out every year on my blizzard. And I did that on the companys as well. It's not overkill IMO

20. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Mine wasn't a rust problem but more of bent or torn metal. The cylinder pushed it out but it strained then we had to jack it out to fix the problem.