1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jakers2471, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have recently purchased a new wideout and was going to readjust the pivot height and noticed that my setup is different from a friend of mines. Does anyone know if they changed this set up from factory mid year or whats up? Mine requires bolts to be removed to adjust height and his is the removal of a pin. Anyone familiar?? I am aware that going from 2-3 does require the removal of brackets and swapping of sides but his can go from 1-2 or 3-4 with pin removal and mine requires bolt removal even for these steps. Thanks

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure when you do this...That the A-Frame is as Level as Possible...Or you will burn through wing cutting edges Even faster than Normal...Which is Pretty fast....Sorry, can't help with the adjustment..I own an XLS.....:salute:

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Looked up the instructions through westerns publications library and they dont show pins only bolts. did he change it or put it together himself?

4. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

My instructions show as you say as well- its not a matter of who put together-its built completly different.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You have the new version of the wide-out called "fleet flex". Your pivot bar is a bit different than the old version too. Your pivot bar has those pins, it has grease zerks on the ends and yours it sooo much simpler to reconfigure. All you have to do is pull the cotter pins and then pull the main pins inward. But be carfull not to let the headlight tower fall and smash your fingers or tugg on the hoses. I use a sling and crane to support the headlight tower while doing this. Your fleet flex also allows you to shut off the soft stop feature, allows you to program the controller to go straight into float when you touch the down button (like the joysticks used to do) and has additional security features to make it difficult for thieves to make your plow work if they don't get the controller too. Your plow should have come with a book to explain all this. You are right about one thing though, they did start shipping these new versions mid season just as soon as they got rid of all the old inventory. Some people refer to the new plows as the "big box plow" because they are completely assembled at the factory with the exception of the blade. The old style came in about six boxes and had to be assembled locally. This created problems with unqualified assemblers screwing up. Now you just have to hope that the plow was built on a good day by a Western guy who gave a crap about what he was doing. Personally I would rather build them myself because I spend more time correcting little things like twisted, improperly routed hoses, incoreclty connected wires and overtighted or loose bolts.

6. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thank you mishnick, mine is one WITHOUT the pins tho. Maybe thats why I dont have book explaining that? I do know what your saying about the quality of work that comes out of Western tho-this is second plow I have got from western and Iam not impressed BUT dont know of anyone else that does a better job and trust me I have looked. Is there any big benefits of having the (big box) plow? Any other changes?

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Why dont western have that in their publications library

8. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I do have one more question- CHATTER, anyone else have this complaint? Bladed wont stay down good when wings are out or in scoop. I have heard that if at all possible to keep the rear of the A frame a bit low will help this, gets worse if front of A frame lower is what I hear. Anyone know anything more about this?

9. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

It goes away after a few hoursof use mine does it everytime i put on new wing rubbers but when they wear in it gies away

10. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

How often are you putting new wings on? Thanks for that info I was begining to wonder. I may just get Jerre's wings and be done with it:)

11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

ive replaced everything 3 times in 2 years

12. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

But the city streets i plow play hell on them cause the streets are tared then they put down pea gravel and that **** eats the rubbers

13. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Wow thats nuts- you replace steel cutting edge with wings? I know Jerre's wings are $600 but that may be cheaper in long run. Do you mind saying what it costs to replace all (steel and rubber)?

14. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

What year did this new Fleet Flex appear?

15. mishnick

I agree about breaking in the cutting edges. Don't change the configuration, the best possible result will be when your edges are worn in and the A frame is parallel to the ground. With the back end low it won't elevate as high either so you won't be able to stack as high.

The quality thing is a small issue with Western. More of an inconvenience than anything else. I have my own wide-out and after overcoming the initial bugs I am very happy with it. I hear complaints about Western but most of it is just whining. No different than cars, TVs and everything else.

16. mishnick

Fleet flex started showing up this year. When we ordered new inventory they just started showing up. First the MVPs, then the Wide-outs and then finally the straight blades.

17. Jakers2471

Jakers2471 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thank you for all the help Mishnick, I agree about quality issues of most all other products as well. And Jaime I just got mine like a month ago so the change happened this fall.

18. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Costs me $495