1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout quality?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CK82, Oct 7, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Im looking into purchasing a 1ton dump truck and setting it up with a plow. It seems like the Western wide out, or the Blizzard would really plow a lot of snow. A V-plow in the V position looks to be able to hold a lot less snow? Any knowledgable users care to share there opinions or past experience?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

Wideout was love at first sight,but no actual experence. One western dealer here in dayton ohio hasnt even sold a wideout yet.....I really want to be the first.

3. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Would anyone recommend going with a V plow of at least 9' or with a Western Wideout or Blizzard? I would be using it for parking lots and such

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Blizzard 810 is a little heavier than wideout. Because of that, it also scrapes a lot better. Seems like angle of attack is much better. Boxes on Blizzard are a lot stronger than slide setup on Western.

Do yourself a favor. Before you buy any truck, get the specific GVWR and GAWR on the door frame. Some of the new Chevy and Dodge Diesels are too heavy in the front end to hang a plow on. Remember, the diesels are about 900 lbs heavier than the gas motors. Go to quick match on the Western and Blizzard site, and see exactly what size truck you can put a plow on. Remember, unless you are buying a 4x4 dump, some of the 2wd frames are different. Again, you can find out really quick using quick match.

I am a dealer for both Blizzard and Western, but have yet to sell a Wideout, and have quite a few 810's out there. You may be looking at a truck that Blizzard does'mt recomend a plow on, but the Wideout may be able to go on because it's lighter. I don't sell enough V-Plows in southeast MI to tell you about them. But my customers that had straight blades and switched to 810's tell me they plow an average lot 25-30 percent quicker because of volume of snow moved, and no runoff to go back and clean up. Good Luck.

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The Blizzard 810 weighs 950lbs. and the Western WideOut weighs 955lbs. per the website specs.:eek:

http://www.blizzardplows.com/products.power_plow.asp

http://www.westernplows.com/specifications.asp

Being a dealer, I would think that all of your research on the products you sell is concise and accurate.:dizzy:

I own several WideOuts, I have sold Blizzards, and have used many other plows, I personally love my WideOuts. Each plow has it's +'s & -'s, research your equipment before you make that final decision.

Here's some action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ist8b0Jtyhw

Jon:angel:

6. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Hey Jon,

Have you had any problems with your Wideouts? People who have been buying certain brands/products year after year tend to be bias against anything new coming out. Its like Chevy guys and Ford guys. Im sure people using Blizzard plows would talk poorly of the Wideout, especially if there Blizzard hasnt had past problems. Please give me some pro's and con's if you dont mind of the Wideout, or the Blizzard if you have used it. I just bought a Chevrolet C5500 which is a medium duty truck and I want to make sure I set it up with the propert plow.

Chris

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Hell I would go with a 8611 then since you have that big of truck.:nod:

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Chris,

With your choice of truck, I would go with the Blizzard 8611LP.:salute: That would be a perfect match for that truck doing commercial lots. I have used a vast variety of plows, all are each different. I like the way the Western Plows attach to the truck. I like the look of the truck when the plow is off. I am an appearance and productivity person, and the Western does that for me.:blush2: Not to mention, white plows on a white truck in white snow leaves for all of the idiot drivers to put me and my equipment at risk.:eek:

Jon

9. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Jon,
    one of our customers is a concrete contractor. He weighed the Blizzard 810 last year. His buddy has a wideout. They also weighed that at the scale. IIRC, there was a 45 lbs difference, the blizzard being heavier. You also have to remember, I believe the western specs may be WITH the light bar, as it is part of the plow assembly.

I am co-owner of a dealership, and handle the service end. Also, I am going off specs I seen 2 years ago when the wideout was first introduced. So I apoligize to all my faithfull folks who are listening. I am human also and DO make mistakes!! So I may of been having an off day, and don't work in the sales end every day.

We have put a couple Blizzards on Ford F550's, but have yet to do so on a Chevy 5500. I believe your recomendation is a very good one.

Just to let you know, I'm not some dealer who never plowed snow.I've been plowing since the late 80's, and have been a foreman with 12 plowers under me for a large Detroit area company, before I got into this racqet 8 years ago. If you read my whole response, it seems I am a bit biased towards Blizzard, and maybe I am. If you would see the repairs on the straight blade Blizzards VS straight westerns, I can tell you I see a lot more Westerns during a snowstorm.

Now, back to helping the original poster and his question!!!ussmileyflag

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

8611 for sure, the bigger the better if you have the truck!

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

C5500 needs a standard 8611. I would think a former seller of Blizzard would know this.

I guess you better add the standard 8611 to the list you need to try before making such a recommendation. An LP will fold worse like a wet noodle on a 5500 or 550 series truck. I should know, I have 3 LP's on 350's and have had bent wings and slide boxes on all of them.

I also have 2 standard 8611's on 550's and have bent one slide box and one wing. Much heavier plow that will stand up to the weight of the medium duty trucks.

You go with an LP and you'll be sorry.

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Mark sorry to correct you. You've got one with straight wings and slide boxes, one with bent wings and slide boxes and one without any wings at all........Yes I did read the Had part.

CK82, For that truck the 8611 Full size is the weapon of choice. I've hung and plowed with them in all configurations from std cab long bed thru quad cab 8' box.

The 11' width is needed to get wheel clearance when turning IMO.

Sharpcut, When you see the new 810's you'll know where the weight got cut out from.
    The older plows were as heavy as 990# at one time.

J

13. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Jerre,
    that would take the 950lbs in the spec chart, and add the 45 pounds I posted earlier, and you have 995. Thats about what I remember my customer telling me the truck scale told him.

I also agree on the width part. I know a F550 measures a little over 8' outside of tire to outside of tire. With the plow angled when turning, I think you're tracking snow with your back tires.

14. Jerre Heyer

Yep, haven't hit the scale with the new ones but will soon. Know my first one weighed in at 990+/- in 2000. They've been on a diet since 2003. Wideout really show's the lack of weight on the edge from the detached headgear/pump combo when stacking and plowing furrows or cross windrows.

J

15. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have yet to check into either plow completely at this point. I really like the looks of the Blizzards and they seem to be a solid plow from what I hear. Two things, hopefully the light bar does not stay attached to the truck when the plow is not in use. For some reason I recall that it does. I guess it wouldnt matter for my C5500, but my other plow truck is a personal vehicle as well. Second I am not sure of any Blizzard dealers in my area. I am soon to check into all of this furrther, but I really appreciate the posts. So it sounds like the 8611 is more heavy duty than the 8611LP. Thanks again.

Chris

16. Jerre Heyer

The tower does not stay attached when you remove the plow. It does however need to be removed separately from taking off the plow if you want it off every time. This takes an extra 30 seconds to a minute off and on. Jerre

17. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thats good to know. I remember seeing a guy driving with the tower in the spring/summer time. That would really be lame otherwise. Thanks.