1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Dec 4, 2015.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Hey guys looking for some help. I picked up a used wideout over the summer hooked it before I bought it everything worked great drove about three hours home with it on the truck not one issue. I put it away till about a week ago when we serviced it along with the rest of my plows (don't think this has anything to do with it because my other wideouts were done the same way and they have no issues)

So today the first time it's been hooked up for a few months the plow won't angle left and the left wing won't retract in. It does fold from straight to scoop and back to straight but seems very labored.

There's plenty of fluid in the plow it goes up and down no problem and the right wing works great.

Here's what I've ruled out
    Truck wiring
    Controller
    Module on the plow

I took the top valves out and they seem fine
    The coils all worked too

If I crack the line on the ram I can push the plow and angle it
    The motor fires when you go to angle it but it seems like the fluid is not being allowed back into the reservoir or something like that.

Looking for where to look next.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You check the fuses on the plow?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are a couple fuse holders under the plastic covers on either side of the plow. They look like black boxes with four wires going into each. Pull the covers and find the two fuses in each of the two holders. Each fuse protects either a couple of valve coils, or coils and the motor relay and one fuse is what they call "sense" which is the electronics that the plow controller uses to detect what plow it's installed in. If one of the fuses is gone you will get wonky results from your function requests.

If the fuses are all correct you need to verify the correct valves are being activated by the plow module. Disconnect one of the main wires feeding the motor and then get someone to push the various functions while you hold a ferrous metal object (screw driver) to the end of the valves that are supposed to be active. The mechanic's guide will tell you which coils are active for what function. There are as many as three valves active for some functions. If it worked great just a few weeks ago then I doubt that any valves have failed, it's probably electrical. Sometimes those fuses just come loose and when you open the cover they fall out! Make sure the fuses are all seated and not blown.

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Sorry forgot to add that I did check the fuses (visually) I'll actually pull them and replace them to be sure. I did check the functions with a screw driver to see if they magnetized while someone hit the functions. I checked the s5 s6 s7 and s8 because those were the ones the guide said should be firing during the angle left and left wing functions.

5. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Would it be the motor relay mounted on the blade?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. Has nothing to do with it. As long as your motor is running, the solenoid is working

7. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

would it have something to do with the Crossover Relief Valve? I spoke to a dealer mechanic he said he didn't think it would be the wing relief valves and to be honest to get to them is a pain.

I didn't check the s9 or s10 valves because the right wing is working fine. and I think the s1 and s2 valves are for the lift function and that also works fine. Im hesitant to take it to my local dealer because I don't think they service many wideouts because they don't seem to be too common around here and to be honest the service isn't that great.

8. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

and there are two "packs" with two fuses each correct?

and its odd because the left wing does scoop and "unstop" but its labored and at first wouldn't go at all.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have you checked the orifice plates? These would have no effect on angling but when clogged can cause issues with wings retracting.

10. mishnick

The orifice plates was a good suggestion. They allow fast flow to extend the wings but slow the wings when they retract by redirecting the fluid through a pinhole. If there is dirt or a piece of gasket or something in the valve it would come & go explaining that it worked OK when you picked it up. The orifice plates are located under the ORB elbow fittings at the front of the hydraulic unit. Looking at it from the front it's the top left fitting and the bottom left fitting. Take the hoses off, loosen the jamnut and then make sure you catch the thing when you pull the fitting out. Also note they must go back in with the correct orientation. They work like a check valve so if you put them in backwards there will be problems.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/27376.00_100107.pdf Page 15

After looking at the schematics there is one valve that only opens for Right wing retract... S9 I would pull that and check for operation or just replace it. See the fluid flow diagram on page 55. See page 21 for location (bottom rear cartridge on passenger side) This is probably the thing you should focus on first.

11. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Right wing works fine. Pulled the valves for the left wing sand the all seemed fine.

12. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Orifices looked ok nothing clogged.

13. mishnick

Sorry I was mixed up with the problem.... Left angle will be the S6 valve and left wing retract will be S7

S6 and S7 are both on page 21, both on the passenger side top.

Pulling the valves and just looking at them won't tell you if they work unless you see obvious deformations. You can put the coil on them when they are out and use a 9V battery to activate them. You should hear a distinct click when you put power to them. But wear glasses when you do it if you are holding them in front of your face because they can launch fluid droplets into your eyes.

Sometimes you can see bits of dirt in the valve and if you open them with power and then blow them out with compressed air they will be good to go again. Examine them for bent or swollen stems and damaged seals. If the coils are hard coming off that is a sure sign they are swollen even though you can't see it with the naked eye.

14. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Took them out they moved freely blew them out also. I haven't tried the coils with a battery though

15. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

So turns out we had two hoses crossed. Oops thanks for the help everyone

16. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

Glad to see you found it , Had me concearned. Hope it works well for you.