1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

plowed past tuesday plow worked great, took it off wed morning and it worked.
    Today I went to hook it up so I could wash it and all I got was a slow flashing power light on the controller.

Connections are all good and greased, nothing looks chaffed on either side of the connections, battery connections are nice and tight, the connection where the control harness plugs into the power cable is good.

The plow is brand new I've only used it this season. Im trying to find someone local where I can try their controller with my plow and their plow with my truck.
    Mechanics guide says that slow flashing light indicates no communication and to check connections, swap in a controller or replace the plow module.

Is there any testing I can do without having a spare controller?

2. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

would love to get this fixed today when its 65 degrees not during the week when its going to be 30 lol

3. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

also all the fuses plow side are good and the wiring on that side looks ok as well

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Should be a fuse under the hood also for the control. Check connector in the cab. Or someone set the security guard.

5. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Ill have to look at the schematic for that fuse location, and I think a fast flashing would be security and no one would have set it except for me anyway

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Flashing light on the controller indicates communication failure. That means start at the controller plug and check the pins. Next go to the battery cable where the controller joins at the four pin black plug, check that for corrosion and bad pins. Now move down the battery cable to the grill plug. Check the two small pins. Finally go under the plastic shroud on the plow RH side and look at the tan and white twisted pair of wires going to the plow module port A. Aside from these points there could be damage on the harness between the controller and plugs or the controller or controller cable. Bottom line is there is a break in one of those two wires. One is commands being sent from the control to the plow module and the other is diagnostic communication from plow module to controller.

7. kimber750

Should be 2 fuses near module. One is park/turn the other is control.

8. mishnick

If the above fuse is blown the controller goes dead, no lights come on let alone flash.

9. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

mishnick

I checked all of those points, is it possible its the controller or plow module?
    If I hook my truck up to another wideout and it works then the problem is plow side correct?

10. kimber750

Seems to have been a rash of bad plow modules posted about this year.

11. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I don't know if it has anything to do with this but the storm before last the screw/plug for pressure test came loose and it leaked some fluid on the motor relay.

12. mishnick

Absolutely could be controller or plow module. Also check the two fuses on the RH side of the plow under the shroud. They are labeled as motor relay and valve fuses but they may feed the module too, they don't show how the module is protected, it could be that simple.
    Controllers often break wires at the base of the strain relief. Look at the bottom of the controller, there you will see a hard rubber section that covers the wire for a few inches. Right at the end the wires can bend abruptly and tend to break the small wires inside. Trying a different, known good, controller will tell. And yes, if you hook up to any other multiplex plow it will be a clear indication. You can hook up to a Wide-out, MVP+ or multiplex straight blade, whatever is available to you, that's the beauty of fleet flex. You don't need to fight to get it mounted, just hook up the two plugs and see if the controller activates with no flashing lights. If another plow works you know the problem is on your Wide-out, if it still doesn't work you know it's truck side.

13. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I checked all four fuses plow side with a test light they are good. Ill run outside now and inspect the controller wires.

Also thanks for all the help you have given me and other members, you've saved me hundreds if not thousands. I definitely owe you big time.

14. mishnick

And you guys have save me thousands in training. These challenges are the best training there is. Good part is I don't have to go out in the cold or get my hands dirty, I just sit here with my laptop and watch TV....

15. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Now just have to find another plow to test it on

16. kimber750

You should be able to hook to any fleet flex. Be it western or fisher. Fisher will not mount to your truck thou but should be able to test wiring.

17. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Not a lot of them around most guys I know are still rubbing three wire setups. All my other trucks are three wire

18. exclusive

exclusive Member

Hey jasonz I'm from nj I run a wideout if you want to come try it out I'm not to far from the any of the tunnels or the gwb

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  19. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I may take you up on that offer, Im heading upstate tomorrow, maybe on the way back. what town ill see how far out of the way it is

20. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Pm me your number